Automatic linking in quiz questions

Automatic linking in quiz questions

by Nancy Webb -
Number of replies: 4

I just recently became aware of automatic linking being a problem in quiz questions.  It seems to me we shouldn't have to click the "no link" button when creating quiz questions, especially since many of us import questions from another source. Many hundreds or thousands of questions.  We don't know which question might create some text that automatically links to a resource that just happens to have the same name.

A student took a quiz, clicked on a link thinking she was supposed to, and was unable to get back to her quiz at that point.

Can the default for all quiz questions be set to NO automatic linking? We can always put in a link if it is wanted.  Maybe we need a Moodle bug report.  Anybody else interested?

Thanks,

Nancy

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Nancy Webb

Re: Automatic linking in quiz questions

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Nancy,

Which version of Moodle are you using (1.9.x or 2.0.x)? In newest version (2.0) there is a filter setting in each activity (including Quiz) which enables the quiz creator to turn the glossary autolinks OFF just for that quiz. Unfortunately, a bug prevents that filter from working at the moment.

Joseph

@Tim : bug MDL-24996 reported in november 2010 still waiting for a fix.

In reply to Joseph Rézeau

Re: Automatic linking in quiz questions

by Nancy Webb -

Thanks Joseph.  Unfortunately we are still using 1.9. 

I am sure Tim will fix that bug soon, and when we update to 2.0 I'll be sure to let instructors know about the fix.

By the way, do the links only go to glossary entries, or do they go to any resource in the course?

Nancy