My Moodle: latest news

My Moodle: latest news

by H B -
Number of replies: 10

how can I show the lastest news block in my moodle. So when users login they automatically go to mymoodle. Then the calender is showed. I also want to show latest news, but it doesn't.

I added this block into modules/sticky blocks/configure mymoodle, but with no result.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to H B

Re: My Moodle: latest news

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Hellen,

The latest news block is a special block which can only be added to the course page. However, you can show latest news in My Moodle by enabling RSS feeds for the site and for the news forum, then adding an RSS feeds block to your My Moodle page. Please see the documentation RSS feeds for more details.

In reply to Helen Foster

by Kristbjörg Olsen -

I have a similar problem. I added a latest news block on the my moodle page (moodle 2) but only teachers are able to see the block. I have been reading forums all day and changing all kinds of settings but nothing seems to change this. Any solutions?

In reply to Kristbjörg Olsen

Re: latest news on My Moodle

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi again,

I was wrong in thinking that you can't add the latest news block to My Moodle. blush It is possible to show the site news in the latest news block.

Hellen, I just tried in 1.9 and found the same as you. It seems there is a bug. Please report it in the Moodle Tracker. (You'll need to create a tracker account in order to report a bug.)

Kristbjörg, in Moodle 2 you can show the site news on My Moodle by logging in as an admin, browsing to Site administration > Appearance > Default My Moodle page and adding the latest news block. You then need to edit the block and set "Users My home page" as the page type and "Any page matching the above" as specific sub-page.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Helen Foster

by Kristbjörg Olsen -

This works perfectly smile Thanks so much

In reply to Kristbjörg Olsen

by karin oerlemans -

I tried your instructions Helen, but it the news block is still not coming up on the student's home page. We are using Moodle 2. It comes up on the site adminstrators page, just not the students (using a demo student to check). Is there something else I can do?

In reply to karin oerlemans

by karin oerlemans -

And interestingly when I enter as my demo student and click customise my home, then the news block appears, but as soon as I "stop customising" it disappears

by Helen Foster -

Hi Karin,

That sounds odd. What version of Moodle are you using? (You can find your Moodle version via Site Administration > Notifications.) Can you reproduce the problem on our demo site demo.moodle.net?

Re: Adding a block to the My home page for all users

by Helen Foster -

Reading through this thread again I realise the advice I gave on adding a block to My home was only for setting the default My home page for new users. For existing users, as Karin found, when they customise their home page, the block appears and then disappears.

To add a block to My home for existing users, please see the section 'Adding a block to the My home page for all users' in the documentation My home.

In reply to H B

by François Lizotte -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

We just upgraded from 2.2 to 2.4.

In MyMoodle, in Course overview block, from a teacher point of view, the courses that were not available to students were in pale to differentiate them from courses available (open). No they all look the same.

Where can we change this?

François