Question bank sort by age

Question bank sort by age

by Tom Czachor -
Number of replies: 22

Is there any way to sort the question bank by age in Moodle 2.0 like it was available in 1.x? I have a large question bank, and the questions are in the order I use them. Now they are sorted alphabetically and it takes longer to pick the questions I need for each quiz.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Tom Czachor

Re: Question bank sort by age

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

I agree that that feature is strangely missing from 2.0.

In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Doh! Is there a tracker issue about this?

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Tom Czachor -

There is now.

In reply to Tom Czachor

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Tom,

Please provide here the reference to the tracker issue you created.

Joseph

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

As Joseph says, when you make a tracker issue related to a forum thread, it is a good idea to mention the bug number in the thread, and also put a link to the thread in the bug.

In this case it is MDL-25721.

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Tom Czachor -

I never submitted to the bug tracker, I will remember to reference the bug number in the thread next time.

In reply to Tom Czachor

by Joseph Rézeau -

by Carlos Lopez -

Any news on this topic? I think this is  a really necesary part of the tests when you have  hundreds of consecutives questions that are related in specific order.

In reply to Carlos Lopez

by Ravi Vare -
Yes
this is very nice feature

Today i installed new brand package of moodle 2.0.3+

Try to find this feature

but i couldn't find out

Tim, Joseph PLzzz..

Say somthing

TIA

Best Regards,

Ravi
In reply to Ravi Vare

by Tim Hunt -

In Moodle 2.0 we switched to sorting by clicking on the column headings - which is very nice for the columns that are there.

Unfortunately, for things that are not there, like date, it is hard to imagine what a good UI is to let people sort on that. Suggestions welcome.

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Ravi Vare -
Hi Tim,
Thanks for response.

Now we can sort the questions on the basis of "Question Type"
(Ascending and descending)

in coming MOODLE
Is it not possible on"DATE"? i mean sorting by 'Age'.

Best regards
Ravi
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Eric Malone -

Please add this functionality ASAP. It makes 2.0/2.1 seem like a downgrade to faculty if they cannot retain the question order that they imported via. GIFT. The old way of sorting by age worked very well.

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Randy Thornton -
Picture of Documentation writers

Tim,

I suppose the optimal UI solution would be a "Last modified at" (date/time) column to the right of "Last modified by". 

The 1.9 sort by Age was very useful, as often you want to go right to the latest things being worked on.  Still you had to edit it to see the actual created/last save times. It would be nice to promote them.

If adding another column (or two, if you added "Created at" as well) presents an issue with width, then perhaps there should be one column for person and one for date, with some way (link, icon, radio button) to switch between "created" versus "modified/last saved" by/at.

Thanks

Randy

In reply to Randy Thornton

by Tim Hunt -

Note that, in the stand-alone question bank page you have ... Doh! you only have the name of creator/last modifier, not the date.

Well adding date would be pretty trivial, if anyone want to take a look in question/editlib.php.

The issue on the quiz edit page is space. If anyone would like to give me a mock-up of the UI of the edit page wich some-how fits in a colum that lets you sort on last modified date, I will be very impressed, and it would then be possible to implement this.

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Ravi Vare -

Hi Tim,

Can we make ROW (as like in 1.9) instead of COLUMN ?

Best Regards,

Ravi

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Randy Thornton -

Tim,

Here's a simple mockup that adds no columns, but has one column for person and one for date, then uses a select for modified vs created status.

(The date and time format I just typed in, but obviously that could be reformatted to fit.)

That's one way to do it with just two columns. I tried with just plain links instead of pulldowns, but it was pretty busy, so tried the pulldown which are more real estate friendly.

It might give you some ideas.

Randy

Attachment qbankdatemockup.jpg
In reply to Randy Thornton

by Tim Hunt -

That does not look like the quiz edit page (mod/quiz/edit.php) to me.

It looks more like the question bank (question/edit.php) where, as I said, there is no problem I would jsut add more columns. There is plenty of space. Actually, I would like to make it so that the columns are configurable but the user, which is close to being possible. The code was designed that way.

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Randy Thornton -

Tim,

Yes, that's was question bank suggestion, but more columns to the right would be simpler while space is not an issue. Making "columns configurable by the user" is even better (such as collapsible/expandable).

For the cramped quiz edit page, perhaps adding icons for the date sort above the action icons on the far right, similar to the Type sort interface: a clickable icon and up/down status direction arrows to its right.

Mockup attached (using a webdings clock icon, perhaps a small calendar icon would be better.)

Attachment quizeditdatetimesort.jpg
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Ravi Vare -

Hi Tim,

Can we use 'THIS' feature in Moodle 2.1.2 ?

This is very useful feature.

Best Regards,

Ravi

In reply to Ravi Vare

by m ump -

Yes! Losing this feature has cause huge problems for me.

by m ump -

Is there any word on whether the "age" sort will be reinstated, or when? Removing that function has rendered my test banks unusuable, and I need to quickly find a different app if this isn't going to be fixed.

I have many test banks which are a series of specific readings, with each reading followed by questions specifically about the selection. I controlled the order of the readings and questions by the order I wrote them in Moodle. It would take a huge amount of time to manually reorder them each time I created a quiz.