QuickTime Video Embedding

QuickTime Video Embedding

by Jon Fila -
Number of replies: 17

When I embed a QuickTime video like this:
<a href="http://mymoodlesite.org/file.php/240/videos/Video_Title.mp4?d=800x450"></a>

It loops automatically. This doesn't happen with FLV videos. I've tried adding loop="false" and that did not work.

I've also tried to embed it like this: <embed width="800" height="450" loop="false" autoplay="false" src="http://mymoodlesite.org/file.php/240/videos/Video_Title.mp4"></embed>

While that solves the problem, it zooms in on the video instead of shrinking it.

Is there any way that I can stop the loop using my first method?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jon Fila

Re: QuickTime Video Embedding

by Jon Fila -

I might have a solution. Well, I do have a solution, but I wanted to 
run it by some folks here before I do this with our actual site.

I went to our development site and embedded a MP4 video and made sure 
it was still looping (it was).

Then I went into the Moodle folder 
-->filter 
------>multimediaplugin 
----------->Find every occurrence of the word loop (there are 4) and 
change true to false.

Then I went back to where the video was embedded and added this tag 
before my embedded link:

<param name="loop" value="false" />

The video stopped after playing once.

This seemed to work and I wanted to see if anyone else out there had any words of warning with this method before I put it into practice.

In reply to Jon Fila

by Michele Mason -

I'm having the same problem with looping mp4 files. But can you clarify your instructions because I did what you said and went to Moodle>filter>mediaplugin (there is no folder called multimediaplugin) I'm using ver 1.9.11 and I serached for 'loop' and found nothing.

Cheers

Michele

In reply to Michele Mason

by Kevin Brake -

Hi Michele,

The instructions refer to accessing content on your Moodle Server via ftp.

In my case using Moodle 1.99, I went to:

filter/mediaplugin/filter.php

Did a search for loop, replaced loop=true with loop=false.

I can confirm that this does work and can not see any issues by changing this tag to false.  It just stops a video file from looping, if you want a mp4 to loop just return and change the loop back to true.

Hope this helps,

Kevin Brake

eLearningShow.com

In reply to Kevin Brake

by Michael Karlsson -

Hi,

I'm having the same problems with looping videos. I work on v. 2.0.5 but I don't have ftp access. Is there anything I can do with an admin login to fix this?

I've tried to just paste the various additional tags in the embed code, but it doesn't help.

Thanks in advance,

Michael

In reply to Jon Fila

by Jon Fila -

New QuickTime Problem.

I upgraded a site to 1.9.11 yesterday and now QuickTime videos that were embedded in tables do not show up. It actually displays like the cell is not even there and others shift over to take its place.

quicktime embed

This Flash video should be over the FLV column and there should be a MP4 video above the QuickTime column.

When I look at other courses the videos are there. Though there is one more instance at least where an embedded video will not allow other text to display. When I look at the resource to edit it, everything looks fine, when I save, it's all screwed up again.

Any ideas?

In reply to Jon Fila

by Jon Fila -

Here's a short term fix. I replaced the moodle/filter/multimediaplugin/filter.php file with the old one and things work fine again.

At some point I'd like to know what changes caused this. I replaced just the QuickTime plugin code but that didn't work. Only by replacing the entire file was I able to get things back to normal.

In reply to Jon Fila

by Will Taylor -

Am working now with Moodle v.2.3.1+, and having this same problem, with videos in the embedded QuickTIme player looping by default.

The filter system of course is changed, and in this version,
/filter/mediaplugin/filter.php does NOT contain any references to "loop="
(I have searched it until I'm blue in the face)

? how to stop default looping ?

In reply to Will Taylor

by Jon Fila -

Are they autostarting as well?

In the embed code I added autostart="autostart" and that fixes it for me.

Originally I tried autostart="false" but it changed it every time I saved to autostart="autostart" so I just went with it.

In reply to Will Taylor

by Jamie Hockin -

It's an old thread, but I could not find an answer anywhere else. In Moodle 2.5, the settings for Quicktime files are now coded in

lib/medialib.php

I changed the setting for loop to "false" and videos now just play once.

In reply to Jamie Hockin

by Jon Fila -

I'm back four years later trying to find a similar solution again. The QuickTime plugin for Chrome now crashes when it sees a video (MP4) embedded in Moodle. 

I disabled the plugin:

enter chrome:plugins and disable.

The problem is that now the video plays automatically when using the HTML5 player. I'm currently trying to find a solution to this.

In reply to Jon Fila

by ben reynolds -

Hey Jon,

Yes, Google broke Chrome so it doesn't play with QTime. We're using VLC instead. If users install it and disable the QT plugin, VLC will take over and play nicely with Chrome.

I couldn't get the Moodle Media player to pay my .mp4s. The player shows up, but pressing the play button has no effect.

In reply to ben reynolds

by Jon Fila -

Thanks Ben, I'll post some instructions for our users. Unfortunately, the web browser plugin doesn't work for Mac OSX 10.6 or later. Hopefully they'll update it soon.

In reply to Jon Fila

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Have you tried installing and using the PoodLL Filter? It can handle playing FLV, MP4, MOV, and MP3 files. You can also set it to use HTML5 Playback for Chrome browsers.

In reply to AL Rachels

by Susan Fleming -

We have been using PoodLL for six months now without any issues and our users include both MAC and Windows users as well as just about every browser out there. 

You are welcome to make use of the directions we have created for students:

http://www.cotronline.ca/mod/book/view.php?id=16556&chapterid=15885

and faculty  http://www.cotronline.ca/mod/book/view.php?id=16922&chapterid=11684

but PoodLL is dead easy to use and wasn't difficult to set up.

In reply to Susan Fleming

by ben reynolds -

Not confirming that Susan's/Al's fix works, but I did review a book in which PoodLL was discussed at some length last year, and I do believe this may be a viable alternative to VLC. I'll try to test it on localhost for 2.6 this weekend and see what I get. Much as I like VLC, something students don't have to install is a better deal.

In reply to Jon Fila

by Christian Herman -

Are you still using the <embed> tag for your videos?  Have you tried switching to <video>?  In <video> as long as there's no autoplay declaration it won't autoplay.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Christian Herman

by Jon Fila -

Christian, thanks! Turns out the course I was using to test this on was one developed back in 1.9.

It was <embed> I switched it to just link to the file using the Media Embed button in the WYSIWYG editor and it stopped autoplaying!

On a side note, once I changed that it and enabled the QuickTime plugin in Chrome it will still use Moodle's HTML5 player because I have the QuickTime player turned off in Moodle.

Glad to know that this isn't as big a problem as I thought. It just means tweaking some older courses...

Thanks everyone!