Adding/Embedding Video onto the login page

Adding/Embedding Video onto the login page

by Joseph Thibault -
Number of replies: 7
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Anyone know how to embed a video onto a login page using the default editor?  I tried it at http://www.joedle.com/login/index.php but it didn't show up.  The multimedia filter is enabled on my site...is it possible?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Joseph Thibault

Re: Adding/Embedding Video onto the login page

by Greg Wathke -

Hi Joseph,

I followed the link in your post, and the video does show up on the Login page.  When the video is clicked, the user is taken to a Moodle resource page where the video can be viewed.  Are you looking to have it behave differently than this?  For example, do you want the video to play right from the login screen rather than open a resource page?

In reply to Greg Wathke

by Joseph Thibault -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Sorry, actually I hacked that.  what I wanted to do was embed the video directly on that page, but since that wasn't possible I just grabbed a picture and embedded it with a link to the video embedded on a web page.

Embedded pictures work.  Embedded videos do not?

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

That's interesting smile I couldn't get a video to embed either - is it a security thing I wonder? Hoping someone in the Know comes along soon!

by Greg Wathke -

You should be able to embed the video as well.  Here is how I was able to do it:

1. Upload your video (I use flash .flv) to the Front Page - Site Files area.
  2. Once it is uploaded, right click on the link to copy the URL
  3. Go to your custom login page instructions (Site Admin-Users-Authentication-Manage Authentication) and add a space character in the instructions where you want the video to appear
  4. Highlight the space, click the "Insert Web Link" button in the editor, and paste in the URL

Hopefully this does the trick for you.

In reply to Greg Wathke

by Joseph Thibault -

Eureka!  Greg, your suggestion to link the .flv reminded me that there's a site policy that affects another filter <object>/<embed> tags.

This is located under: Security -> Site Policies -> check the box for "Allow EMBED and OBJECT tags"

THANKS!

by Greg Wathke -

Joseph,

I'm glad you were able to get it to work.  Just for clarification, if you do not want to turn on the "Allow EMBED and OBJECT tags" feature, you should be able to add the video the way I described without it enabling the option.  This is because the video is added as a standard <a href="..."> link rather than using the EMBED tag.

In reply to Greg Wathke

by C. J. Turner -

I'm trying to put pictures there with links to other locations. Is this possible?