What does "participation ratio" mean?

What does "participation ratio" mean?

by Mary Cooch -
Number of replies: 5
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
My second question about the course overview reports - being a verbal person I don't go in for anything graphy or statistic-y. In the Most participatory courses(enrolments) report, what does participation ratio mean? It is a figure - what does it refer to? Thanks to any numerate people who can help mebig grin
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mary Cooch

Re: What does "participation ratio" mean?

by Amy Call -

Hi Mary,

I'm having the same problem finding information on the participation ratio in the Course overview report for 'Most participatory courses (enrollments)' as well.  I would like to find out how the ratio is configured?  Any help out there would be greatly appreciated.  smile

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Nathan Hutchings -

Yes I would like to know as well. Tried to work it out but simply dividing say the views/posts when going via

administrator>reports>course>course overview>Most participatory courses (views/posts)

But the numbers don't work out, will have a chat to someone and work this out

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
I just looked at the sql that produces this...

It seems to be something like the.... return the average value of posts divided by views for each course.

Don't know if that gives you a clue
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Mary,

Sorry I don't have an explanation, just wanted to ask when you've figured out what 'participation ratio' means, please could you add a note to the documentation Course overview reports. Thanks!

In reply to Helen Foster

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Update: Thanks to help from Przemek Kaszubski, I finally figured out what the participation ratio means. smile

For the report type Most participatory courses (posts/views):

Participation ratio = posts / views

(in other words the number of posts divided by the number of views)

Please note that the name 'Most participatory courses (views/posts)' is incorrect - it should be posts/views, as pointed out by Przemek.

For the report type Most participatory courses (enrolments):

Participation ratio = active users / users enrolled