Cohorts question re groups

Cohorts question re groups

by Mary Cooch -
Number of replies: 9
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Just playing with cohorts and wanted to check if I misunderstood it, if it isn't done yet or if it isn't an option: I can make a cohort and then enrol my users into a course all in one go through that cohort. But then when I go to make a group in the course - the users are there individually for me to put into a group - but there is no option just to bring in the whole cohort in one. Is that as it should be?
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mary Cooch

Re: Cohorts question re groups

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Mary,

I asked cohorts expert Petr whether you should be able to add a whole cohort to a group in a course and he answered "they must be enrolled first, but if they already are it should be possible I think... hmmm, let me check the code... right, it is not there at all, I was just imagining something instead of implementing it I guess".

Thus, please create a tracker issue for it. Thanks for your help. approve

In reply to Helen Foster

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
OK I just did - here it is
Love that quote - I was just imagining something instead of implementing it I guess
smile
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Alistair McQuade -
Do we know if there are any plans to allow students to add themselves to cohorts? Thanks!
In reply to Alistair McQuade

by Mary Cooch -
Hi there. I'm not aware that there are (but who am I to answer?smile ) although I suppose you could get them to add themselves to a course group by giving them the selection of group enrolment keys and getting them to choose the one they wanted.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Alistair McQuade -
Thanks Mary, for a great answer! And yes we've been using that workaround to create site-wide groups, but it is just that, a workaround. I was hoping that cohorts would provide site-wide group functionality that was a little more elegant, for example, when the student first registers in Moodle, they are presented with a list of groups (Cohorts) that they can choose from. And maybe even see a theme that relates to the cohort.... now I am dreaming wink
In reply to Alistair McQuade

by Stuart Mealor -

The issue there is not with Groups / Cohorts, but with an ability to self-select a Group/Cohort, which does not exist in Moodle.

Self-selecting a Cohort is more problematic than self-selecting Groups also, because Cohorts are at a Site level, not a Course level (which is where most user permissions are).  Self-selecting Cohorts would have to be something integrated in the user Profile area I suspect.

Stu.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Bill Steele -

Do you know if there has been any progress on cohorts being available within a module for selection as a group?

In reply to Bill Steele

by Melanie Scott -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

I'd like to know this as well.  This would make groups much easier to manage, especially with very large classes (I have some with thousands of students, would like to group them effectively but end up spending hours assigning to groups...sometimes incorrectly).