Testing and QA

Mary Cooch
2.3 drag and drop works in forum in one course but not another
Group Documentation writersGroup Moodle Course Creator Certificate holdersGroup Moodle HQGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup TestersGroup Translators

Puzzled - so I hope I can have one of Tim's "rubber duck" moments by asking the question here. I am testing out the ability to drag and drop  images into forum posts. In one course in a forum this works fine. In another course on the same Moodle 2.3 the Big Arrow in the box doesn't appear at all- I can't work out why. I have tried with the same user who has ajax enabled in their profile - drag and drop works elsewhere on that second course for instance when adding a file, so I don't get why the box doesn't appear in a forum post. Have tried different types of forum too.

Average of ratings: -
Picture of Chad Bergeron
Re: 2.3 drag and drop works in forum in one course but not another

It only doesn't appear when using the TinyMCE button to add an image?  It shows up in the area for attaching files to posts?

Mary Cooch
Group Documentation writersGroup Moodle Course Creator Certificate holdersGroup Moodle HQGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup TestersGroup Translators

No - in the forum where it doesn't work ,it doesn't show up in the area for attaching files to posts

Picture of Chad Bergeron

Please forgive me for asking a basic question, but is the forum set to allow file attachments?

Average of ratings:Useful (1)
Mary Cooch

Yey!smile You got it! I had assumed that one attachment would be default so hadn't even checked it in the settings -  but obviously not  - works fine now!

Tim at Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary
Group DevelopersGroup Documentation writersGroup Particularly helpful Moodlers

Actually, it is David Mudrak who deserves credit for introducing Rubber Ducks: http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?RubberDucking. Hopefully Helen can update her keynote. I prefer the Teddy Bear version of the story http://www.progsoc.uts.edu.au/lists/slug/2001/May/msg00595.html.

Picture of Bente Olsen
Ang: Re: 2.3 drag and drop works in forum in one course but not another

Wikipedia has an illustrated (!) article about Rubber Ducking: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rubber_duck_debugging

Picture of Helen Foster
Re: Ang: Re: 2.3 drag and drop works in forum in one course but not another
Group DevelopersGroup Documentation writersGroup Moodle HQGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Testers

Thanks Tim and Bente, I'll definitely update my keynote and add the picture from Wikipedia!

Picture of Philip Pike
Re: 2.3 drag and drop works in one course but not another

I am having a similar problem. I have just upgraded from 2.2 to 2.3

Drag and drop files works in some courses but not in others. i am using Firefox 14

Davo
Group DevelopersGroup Particularly helpful Moodlers

@Philip - that description doesn't really help very much in terms of working out what is wrong.

Does it work in Chrome, or are the same courses broken in both Chrome and Firefox?

Is it the course drag and drop upload that is broken, or the form drag and drop upload?

Are there any error messages displayed when you use the built-in browser developer tools (alternatively, you may need to install Firebug in Firefox to see error messages)?

If it is the course drag and drop, is the yellow notification box appearing, or is it stopping before it gets to that point? Is the drag and drop reorganisation of items working?

If it is form drag and drop, does it say 'you can drag and drop files here to add them' or is that message missing?

Picture of Philip Pike

The problem is when I drag and drop files to add them, the message "add files here" doesnt appear, I just get a move symbol. In my other courses I do get the "add files here" message and I am able to drag and drop.

Same result in Chrome. One course allows drag and drop and the other course doesnt.

Floyd Saner - Tail of the Dragon, U.S. 129, NC
Group Particularly helpful Moodlers

Perhaps this is a silly question, but do you have editing turned on?  That caught me one time!  Drag & Drop does not work on pages if editing is turned off.

-Floyd

Davo

What do you mean by 'I just get the move symbol' - do you mean that a 'move' symbol appears when you attempt to drag and drop files, or that there is some sort of move symbol already there?

Are you able to post a screenshot of a course where it is not working?

To repeat my earlier questions - Are we talking about course drag and drop (to add resources to the course) or form drag and drop (for example, to attach files to a forum post)? Does the yellow 'you can drag and drop files to upload them' message appear on those courses that are not working, when you turn editing on? Are there any javascript errors appearing when you check via the developer tools?

Picture of Philip Pike

Yes I have editing turned on.

When I drag a file across I dont get the drag files here message, instad, I simply get an icon as I drag the file with Move in the icon.

Drag and drop works perfectly in one course, but not in another, so it is not a site setting, but I cant work out what is different from the course where drag and drop works and the course where it doesnt work.

Davo

OK, well that screenshot has answered some of the questions I asked.

Firstly, we are now clear that this is course drag and drop upload, rather than the form drag and drop upload (such as attaching files to forums).

Secondly, it is now clear that the 'move icon' is not an icon in Moodle, but the Windows 7 'move a file' icon, which makes a lot more sense.

Thirdly, I can see from the screenshot that there are no editing icons (http://docs.moodle.org/23/en/Course_homepage#Editing_elements_on_your_course_homepage), which suggests that you have either not got editing on, or that you do not have permission to add activities/resources to the course you are looking at.

Please can you confirm that you can actually edit the items already in the course (e.g. move them to a new position, rename them) on the courses where drag and drop upload is not working. If that is possible and the drag and drop still does not work, then please open up the Firefox error console via: Tools, Web developer, Error console (I am assuming you are using Firefox, but this is a guess from the screenshot, as you haven't stated anywhere what browser you are using). Once the Error console is open, clear all the messages, then reload the course page that isn't working. Please copy and paste any errors that appear into this forum.

Average of ratings:Useful (1)
Picture of Fred Weiss

If the browser is IE 9  Drag and drop will not work.

http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-34197

Picture of Philip Pike

Thanks everyone.  I am still perplexed. You will see on the image that the move icon is still the old Moodle icon( up down arrows). In my other courses it is the new icon ( 4 poinit arrow). It looks like this course has not upgraded and the others have upgraded to 2.3.1

I dont know how this can happen.

Davo

Philip, have you looked in the firefox error console yet? Are there any javascript errors appearing?

Until you find check the error console and report any errors on this forum there is very little help anyone can offer.

Picture of Philip Pike

Most error messages all appear around my theme. Below is just a few of about 50 messages. Even wehn I clear the errors, and jsut click on my course I get about 50 errors.

Timestamp: 6/09/2012 9:39:09 AM
Warning: Unknown property '-moz-box-shadow'.  Declaration dropped.
Source File: http://moodle.org/theme/styles.php/moodleofficial/1346846054/all
Line: 911

Timestamp: 6/09/2012 9:39:14 AM
Warning: Unknown property 'scrollbar-track-color'.  Declaration dropped.
Source File: http://moodle.org/lib/editor/tinymce/tiny_mce/3.5.1.1/themes/advanced/skins/o2k7/content.css
Line: 32

Timestamp: 6/09/2012 9:39:12 AM
Warning: Error in parsing value for 'filter'.  Declaration dropped.
Source File: http://yui.yahooapis.com/combo?3.5.1/build/panel/assets/skins/sam/panel.css&3.5.1/build/cssbutton/cssbutton-min.css&3.5.1/build/widget-modality/assets/skins/sam/widget-modality.css&3.5.1/build/datatable-base/assets/skins/sam/datatable-base.css&3.5.1/build/datatable-message/assets/skins/sam/datatable-message.css&3.5.1/build/datatable-sort/assets/skins/sam/datatable-sort.css&3.5.1/build/resize-base/assets/skins/sam/resize-base.css
Line: 48

Timestamp: 6/09/2012 9:42:20 AM
Warning: Expected declaration but found '*'.  Skipped to next declaration.
Source File: http://www.bmgmoodle.org/theme/yui_combo.php?3.5.1/build/cssreset/reset-min.css&3.5.1/build/cssfonts/fonts-min.css&3.5.1/build/cssgrids/grids-min.css&3.5.1/build/cssbase/base-min.css
Line: 13

Picture of Philip Pike

Finally solved the issue. I read in the block notes that you cant have dndupload installed in V2.3 as it interfeeres with the built in drag and drop.

I deleted the dndupload folder in teh block folder and Bingo- Drag and drop now works in all courses.

thanks to Davo and others for their suggestions.

Davo

Glad you worked out what was going on - I've tried my best to make the block warn you if you try to use it with 2.3. It should complain loudly if you try to install the latest version in 2.3 and, as far as I can remember, I also got the latest version to warn you if it is already installed and you upgrade to 2.3. However, this is no help if you have an earlier version of the block installed (from before the 2.3 integration was written).

Picture of Michelle Armstrong

I am having a similar problem in that when I try to drag and drop files into a course it won't happen.  Instead I get a message asking me if I want to open or save the file (see attached image).  Initially I thought it had something to do with the rocket theme but I changed to one of the built in themes and the same issue arises.  I did have the drag and drop block installed in a previous version but have checked and I no longer have it in my blocks.  I have found that I can drag and drop it I choose to add a file but this sort of defeats the purpose.  Any help would be appreciated.  Note - I get this problem with firefox and if I try google chrome the file gets loaded into my downloads.

Davo

Michelle - When you go to the course and switch editing on does the yellow box appear at the top of the page to tell you that drag and drop upload is available?

Whether or not that appears, are there any error messages appearing in the javascript console (firefox) or in the developertools (chrome)?

Davo

Picture of Michelle Armstrong

Hi Davo

Sorry about the delay but I have been in the middle of report writting and moodle has had to be put on hold.  When I turn editing on I get a pink bar stating that editing mode is enabled and it states Drag and Drop files onto course sections to upload them.  When I turn editing on I get quite a few warnings.   Most seem to be with the rocket theme but I am getting a few that state Expected ':' but found 'inline'. Declaration dropped in the http://moodleahs.org/moodle2/course/view.php?id=3&notifyeditingon=1.  Don't know if that is of any help?

Davo

Michelle, I'm afraid that doesn't really give me much to work with.

So the javascript is certainly running (otherwise the message would not appear).

What happens as you drag files onto the course? Does the message appear 'add file(s) here' (with a green + at the start) or does that not appear? Do any errors appear in the developer tools / javascript console as you start dragging?