A WYSWIG editor for Clozes

A WYSWIG editor for Clozes

by Michele Fabbri -
Number of replies: 7
Hello!

My name is Michele Fabbri, I'm 18 years old, I live in Bologna and I attend the last class of Computer Science at "Odone Belluzzi" secondary school.

I am realizing as exam essay, with the help of my Computer Science teacher Duilio Peroni and of my English teacher Patrizia Casanova, a WYSWIG editor for the creation of closes in Moodle environment. The name of the program is "Cloze for Moodle.
The program is written in Java.

It’s a "user-friendly" graphic interface that makes cloze creation easy to unskilled users that are usually discouraged by the complex rules of Moodle Cloze editor environment..
Cloze question type, also known as "embedded answers" in the MOODLE terminology, consist of a text that embeds some missing words or phrases to be completed by typing a text or by selecting a text from an in-line dropdown menu. Embedded answer may be "Short answer", "Multiple Choice" or "Numerical answer". The embedding of answers is defined by a set of syntactic rules which are explained in detail in the Moodle on-line documentation at the URL: http://docs.moodle.org/en/Cloze#Detailed_syntax_explanations

This project was suggested by my English teacher Patrizia Casanova; she often produces Clozes for her Moodle courses but she was irritare by complex and hostile rules required by Moodle.
"Cloze with Moodle", on the contrary, offers a very quick and easy visual edition.

This software was developed in two versions:
"Standalone" is a Java application to be downloaded and installed on the local computer of the cousre teacher and allow to create or modify closes in MoodleXML file format. A MoodleXML file may be imported on a standard Moodle platform. This solution is suitable for individual teachers that can create their own cloze off-line and load them on a standard platform MOODLE.
"Embedded"  is a Java applet that can be integrated into MOODLE environment through a "Hack".

The hack is very similar to Dragmath integration hack and it is documented in the on-line Help.

The applet is executed as a pop-up of the rich-editor of Moolde during the on-line editing of a cloze question type and transforms the standard editor of Moodle in a WYSIWYG editor.
This solution is best suited for administrators of Moodle that can make available online the visual editor to their teachers.

The program is distribuited under GPL license open-souce.

All information about  this program can be found at this address:
http://amplio.belluzzi.scuole.bo.it/mod/resource/view.php?id=24395&username=guest&password=guest

I invite all interested moodlers to try my program and to send comments, bug reports or suggestions for improvement.

Thank you all for your attention and collaboration.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Michele Fabbri

Re: A WYSWIG editor for Clozes

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Michele,

Congratulations on your development work for Moodle. Your teachers must be proud of you!

I have only just tried the standalone "Cloze for Moodle" Java version. Here are a few remarks.

1. The general interface looks very nice and is easy to understand and to use.
  2. It's a pity that it is not possible to actually write text in the main text window, only open a text file or paste text is allowed.
  3. The Help link links to an URL in italian which does not seem to contain help for the program: http://www.url.it/
  4. The Preview button should automatically do a "convert" operation if the text has not already been converted.

For any teacher who simply wants to write a cloze test with "fill in the blanks" multiple choice or short answers, your editor is OK. However, your Cloze editor does not include a very important feature of the Moodle Cloze question type for "learning activities", i.e. feedback.

Maybe you could think about introducing feedback in a new version of your editor? That would make it even more useful.

Joseph

by Nadav Kavalerchik -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Very impressive smile and beautiful piece of code !
I second what Joseph already said: "your teacher must be proud"
I guess you are too wink

If i manage to translate it to Hebrew, i will post it back here.
or just send it over to you.

You should probably open an MDL for it in Moodle's Tracker (tracker.moodle.org)
so we can communicate and follow your development easily.

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Very nice.

Have you thought about making the source code available? Actually, you include a GPL license, but I cannot see any way to get the source code. ... Ah found it! the link is on http://studenti.scuole.bo.it/clozeformoodle/reference_guide/12_sources.html

It would be nice to have a better way for external question editing tools like this to integrate with Moodle. If I ever get time, I mean to look at the new web services infrastructure in Moodle 2.0, to work out if we can build an easy way for external tools to edit questions in the Moodle question bank.
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Nadav Kavalerchik -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Tim: "If I ever get time, I mean to look at the new web services infrastructure in Moodle 2.0, to work out if we can build an easy way for external tools to edit questions in the Moodle question bank."

i would LOVE that smile
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Nadav Kavalerchik

by Michele Fabbri -
Thanks to everyone for the compliments and suggestions.

I have open an MDL for the sofwtare in Moodle's Tracker.

I'm working to a new version of "cloze for moodle" that contains new feature, for example include the feedback and the weight of the question.

I will keep you informed whit this thread.

Sorry for my english arrossito

תשובה ל: A WYSWIG editor for Clozes

by Irith Herman -
I am trying to install the cloze editor, but now all the site did work
can you help me?

irith?