Large pages - How to

Large pages - How to

by Terry Parkes -
Number of replies: 6
Does anyone know how to change setting when you 'compose a web page' to allow for large pages. Moodle seems to limit the size of the page?
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Terry Parkes

Re: Large pages - How to

by Csaba Sandor -
Hi,
I have the same problem.

At 64KBytes (65536 Bytes) Moodle truncates the html code entered into the form (simple not the rich text editor) after 20-50 minutes of continuous communication with the server.

The upload file size (if it has anything to do with this?) is set to 2 MB.

I suspect this must be a deeper Moodle issue (definition of a variable) than just a setting on the GUI.

Thanx,
csaba

In reply to Csaba Sandor

by Csaba Sandor -
After posting to this forum I almost immediately figured out the cause (but not the real solution):

The 'mdl_resource' table of the Moodle database has a field 'alltext' that contains the html code entered into the form. The type of 'alltext' field is 'TEXT'.

According to the MySQL specs the size limit of 'TEXT' type is 64KBytes:
BLOB, TEXT L+2 bytes, where L < 2^16
MEDIUMBLOB, MEDIUMTEXT L+3 bytes, where L < 2^24
LONGBLOB, LONGTEXT L+4 bytes, where L < 2^32

So I set the type of 'alltext' to 'MEDIUMTEXT' (using PHPMyAdmin) and I was able to insert longer html docs, but the process is still painfully slow.

This method is a **serious** modification of the moodle getting round moodle application itself, so please don't blame me if anything strange occurs.

I tried also to insert the html code into the database from PHPMyAdmin and I got the same slow speed, so this should be a MySQL (or PHP-MySQL) issue.

The size limit could be indicated in the docs and also some pre-processing (js?) check on the size could be put in place.

Regards, Csaba
In reply to Csaba Sandor

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Yes, the built-in editor (web forms in general) is not really designed for such large pages anyway.

For such large pages you'd be better off just uploading a HTML page and linking to it using a File resource.
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by A. T. Wyatt -
Just bringing this back up again!

I have noticed that we have occaisional problems with text (that I did not consider that large!) entered by students in the html editor as part of on-line assignment.  One Instructor has encountered the problem when creating webpage course resources.

I am wondering if we might be exceeding this 64K limit.  Our problem?  The html editor refuses to save updates or, on two occaisions, it has saved "nothing".  There is an indication of something being saved, but no content.  Also, it will not allow the user to toggle the html code.

Is the 64K limit the most likely explanation?

If so, I need to warn my instructors to be careful what kinds of on-line text assignments they give. 

Thanks for any clarification on this matter.
atw
In reply to A. T. Wyatt

by Anne Nicolson -

I'm interested in this conversation as our school site has been totally crippled by a similar thing. We can upload tiny forum comments but not longer ones. in our case its probably not a moodle issue - problem goes away if we use computers outside the school to reach our host.

Lots of people have looked at the issue but been unable to solve it. Since the school server is old and tired its going to be replaced and hopefully all will be fine for next year.

when I see how many bits of the equation have to be right I think its a miracle the systems work at all.

I'm off on holiday - merry Christmas

Anne Nicolson

In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Jay Militis -

I'm experiencing the limitation in the Glossary Module. 

Some of the "Encyclopedia" entries are being truncated.