Testing 2.0. Use for modern vs old browsers; needs family

Testing 2.0. Use for modern vs old browsers; needs family

by Elena Ivanova -
Number of replies: 5
Hi Patrick and all,

1) I am looking at themes choices and I am not sure what would be a benefit of choosing "use for modern browsers vs use for old browsers"
I have searched on the forum, and it looks like "old" browsers include IE 7 and 8. Am I correct?
If not, then what is modern, and what is not for Moodle?
And how those themes are different?

We have over 30,000 active users, with a huge variety of browsers and operating systems.
If I chose "use for old browsers" to accommodate for all, what would be the consequences of those who have "modern" ones?

2) boxxie says "needs family". I could not find what does this mean..

tia smile

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Elena Ivanova

Re: Testing 2.0. Use for modern vs old browsers; needs family

by Elena Ivanova -
and p.s. - related/unrelated to the question above.
In IE ver. 7.0.5 I see this for out-of-the box 2.0, regardless of the theme I set for the installation.
Anyone else has the same issue?

Attachment 16Scr_May._05_16.09.jpg

by John St -
I have this same issue (in IE7) unless I turn on theme designer mode.. (admin/theme settings).

by Sam Hemelryk -
Hi Elena and John,

First up in regards to the unrelated issue, it is most certainly a bug.
I've filed MDL-22353 to track it and have assigned to Petr, fingers crossed we can implement a solution shortly.

As for the modern / old browsers question, the feature was added in recognition that older browsers are starting to be dropped from support lists of major websites and that there will more than likely be theme's developed within the immediate life-cycle of Moodle 2 that don't support these browsers.
Currently on the old browsers list are IE6 and IE7 I believe, two browsers that are renowned for giving web designers and developers headaches.

How it all works within Moodle?
You can now select two theme's, one that will be used for old browsers (IE6/7) and one that will be used for all other browsers.
If a user is using IE6/7 then they will see the theme you selected for old browsers, if they are using any other browser they will see the theme you selected for modern browsers.

When should it be used?
If you know the theme you are using is supported by all browsers then there is absolutely no harm is setting both modern and old browsers to use that theme.
If you know know of or suspect that the theme you want to use is problematic on those old browsers then it is probably a good idea that you select another theme for old browsers. This will help ensure that your users don't have a compromised experience.
Those of course are both guides, it is up to you how you make use of it all smile

Hope this helps and answers a few questions.

Cheers
Sam
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Sam Hemelryk

by Patrick Malley -
That's a neat idea, but the difference between these options should be more clear. I thought that the selection applied different styles within the theme I selected.
In reply to Sam Hemelryk

by Mauno Korpelainen -
For my test sites moodle 2.0 does render css for IE8 but it can be terribly slow - sometimes up to 2 minutes - see http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-22353

Maybe it is some kind of cache issue...

IE8 could be added to the same group as IE6 and IE7

IE9 may be the first "modern browser" from Microsoft wink
Average of ratings: Useful (1)