upload file error

upload file error

by hatsune chen -
Number of replies: 9
hello!

I'd created a new lesson on my site , and hoped to import a PowerPoint . However , no matter what I uploaded , the result always was ' could not get data '. i had tried .zip, .htm, .mht , no one can solved it. It works well in other places ,but there.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to hatsune chen

Re: upload file error

by Chris Collman -
Picture of Documentation writers
Hello!
Please see Import PowerPoint. There are some links to files that should import.

As you can see, this is a common question posted in this forum. Import PowerPoint will not work with 2007.

Hope this helps.

Chris
In reply to Chris Collman

回复: Re: upload file error

by hatsune chen -
Thanks for your help !

But I still have a question , if I use PowerPoint 2003 or 2000 , it will works ? Now I use OpenOffice , I wonder does it has influence on it ?
In reply to hatsune chen

Re: 回复: Re: upload file error

by David Lewis -
Hi Chris:
I can partially understand why this is one of the most asked questions as I am quite frustrated. I am not a programmer, just a simple educator that wants to develop a course.
I downloaded and followed all the instructions for Moodle for Windows on my laptop. All indications said the set up was fine. I then played with creating a course using "topics" and lessons and quizs. I can make the lesson heading and I can make a quiz for the topic but I cannot upload my PPT.
I am using Windows XP Pro, PPT 2003, Moodle 1.9. I have read and followed all the steps as outlined in "Import PowerPoint Moodle Doc" as suggested in a number of places. I have zipped and I have changed to PDF but nothing will upload using the "Import PowerPoint" in the Lesson section. Is there an upload PDF that I could use to put my PPT slides in PDF format into my lessons?
All that I can figure out is that the install did not create something that I need in order to "get the data".
Sorry to ask this question again, but to the best of my knowledge I followed all posted instructions correctly.
In reply to David Lewis

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi David,

I still do not understand why moodlers would want to upload their PowerPoint files to the Moodle Lesson module. This forum has numerous posts of people who have met with problems when trying to do this and - despite the great work done especially by Chris to provide advice - there is still no working solution, because there are too many problematic cases.

I think it is unfortunate sad that a PowerPoint import feature was developed in the Lesson activity in the first place, and could not be properly maintained in the years that followed because PowerPoint is a MS proprietary format which is modified in each version.

The only reasonable advice I can give (and I have already said this a number of times and I know Chris agrees) is to stay away from the "import PowerPoint into Lesson" feature. There are plently of alternative ways to display a PowerPoint presentation in your Moodle courses, starting with a simple link to a PowerPoint file, which will then open the presentation on the students' machine own PowerPoint of Open Office equivalent.

Joseph

In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Stuart Mealor -
Agree with all the above.

Joseph / Chris, do you think we should be thinking about changing the Moodle Docs page on this subject ?

It's clear that there are many alternatives (most better), and unless using PowerPoint 2003 (which will be relatively small number) it does not work.

I think it's quite misleading that we have Moodle documentation relating to this - and it might save lots or people lots of time if we can just point people to an accurate description of what is possible?

Stu
In reply to Stuart Mealor

Re: upload PPT file error

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Stuart,

There are several actions which should, in my mind, be taken regarding this powerpoint problem in the Lesson module.

First of all, because it hardly works, is misleading and leads to lots of frustration, the Import Powerpoint option should be totally removed from the Lesson module in forthcoming Moodle 2.0.

Anyone who agrees, please vote for MDL-21801.

When this is done, then the Moodle documentation should be changed to reflect the change.

Joseph

In reply to Stuart Mealor

by Chris Collman -
Picture of Documentation writers
Hi Stuart,
I will try another tweak of import powerpoint in docs smile Will focus upon the intro.

Until it is no longer part of the standard Moodle, we should leave it in and be kind.

We should create a section that says "Alternatives to importing powerpoint into a lesson". Give the options short and sweet with some links. Do you or Joseph or someone else want to add to this: Import_PowerPoint#Alternatives_to_importing_a_PowerPoint_into_Lesson

Thanks Chris

In reply to David Lewis

回复: Re: 回复: Re: upload file error

by hatsune chen -
Hi David !

Maybe it's not the answer what you wanted , but I solved it . I use Ubuntu and Open Office , all through Open Office can change the Odt format to PPT format , it can not works well . Only I used WinXP and PPT2003 to create a new file , and then saved as web pages , the zip file , created by the web pages' folder , can be uploaded on the lesson . It seems that only the WinXP's PowerPoint can solve it . Maybe PPT2000 can also work well , but I have never tried it .

Through I succeed , the result also have many questions . Many characters can't be distinguished .