"Course module is incorrect" error after submitting Editing Assessment Elements page

"Course module is incorrect" error after submitting Editing Assessment Elements page

by Jim Proctor -
Number of replies: 14
I'm setting up a new Workshop in Moodle 1.4.1+, and upon completing the first page and clicking "Save Changes" I am directed to a page titled "Editing Assessment Elements." I cannot, however, find a way to successfully complete this page: after laboriously completing all fields on my Safari browser I find the "[less than]" symbol at the bottom, and when clicking it get the error "Course module is incorrect." My Explorer browser shows a "Save changes" button on this page, and acts as if changes are successfully saved when submitted, but then I'm looped back to this same form and have to start from scratch. There is no way I can find to get back to the workshop setup page to possibly edit parameters and determine what is causing this errant behavior.

Are you sure all the bugs are worked out on this module?? Or is something else going on here? This is getting frustrating, as one could imagine.

Thanks for any ideas,

Jim P.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jim Proctor

Re: "Course module is incorrect" error after submitting Editing Assessment Elements page

by Ray Kingdon -
James, sorry no idea what's going on here. Certainly without any assessments elements each time you go into the workshop it's meant to display the "Give me some assessment elements" pages. That's a design feature but in your case it's a design loop sad. Try Firefox...? [He says lamely.]
In reply to Ray Kingdon

Re: "Course module is incorrect" error after submitting Editing Assessment Elements page

by Michael Schillo -
Ray,

I can confirm the system behaviour that James reports. Using Internet Explorer on my Mac shows the left button correctly ( "save changes" instead of "less than"), but also has the annoying looping behaviour.

Any chances that this may be fixed for 1.4.x? Is there a log file somewhere that might help to track down the problem? Where is the data stored, is it just the database or does it attempt to write somewhere? Maybe there are some file priviliges set incorrectly?

Thanks,
Michael.
In reply to Michael Schillo

by Syamsul Anwar -
Hi, I can also confirm this behaviour in Workshop from a new version 1.4.3 installation when using Safari on my Mac. I have to switch to Mozilla Firefox to avoid this problem.
In reply to Syamsul Anwar

by Michael Schillo -
Which part of the behaviour can you confirm? I just tried FireFox and indeed the button now has the proper label (as in IE), but I am still caught in a loop.

I still have not understood the options for designing the criteria. If I just click ok and say yes to the defaults, should then everything be fine?

thanx,

Michael
In reply to Jim Proctor

by Jay Lloyd Neal -

>>My Explorer browser shows a "Save changes" button on this page, and acts as if changes are successfully saved when submitted, but then I'm looped back to this same form and have to start from scratch.>>

Ditto for me using IE on XP.dead However, looking at revision dates in the Workshop folder, I am pretty certain that I have an older version.

My server is OSX.35 Darwin Apache 1.3 | PHP 5.01 | MySQL 4.0.13

I have been looking for a more recent version of the Workshop module...
V. 1.41+ currently includes a version that has files most recently revised Sept.8/2004, and I don't believe the version available from the Mods and Addons page is current either. Is the spiffy new 2004092400 - In-line submissions version only available via CVS? I'm looking for a stable version revised between 9/30/2004 - 10/18/2004

cheers.

In reply to Jay Lloyd Neal

by Jay Lloyd Neal -

>>I don't believe the version available from the Mods and Addons page is current either.

Doh! After reading some other threads about CVS, I guess all the newly revised debugged versions of workshop since August have been for 1.5 dev, not 1.42...

Never mind. sad

In reply to Jim Proctor

by Daryl Kulak -
Same problem here. I see a "<" as the button and when I try to add an element it says "course module is incorrect." The problem occurs on the Editing Workshop Elements.

My O/S: Mac OS v10.3
Moodle: version 1.4.2 2004083125

My solution for now is to use Assignments for everything instead of Workshops. It would be neat to have everyone making comments on other participants' work, but I'll have to let that go for now.

In reply to Daryl Kulak

by Daryl Kulak -
It looks like my post did not go through.

I was having the same problem as the others. But, just like by Syamsul, when I switched from Safari to Firefox, no more problem.

In reply to Daryl Kulak

by Michael Schillo -
I am still stuck with the described loop problem. Could you post your configuration? I use:
  • Powerbook G4, 1Gb, 1Ghz, OS X.3.7 to run moodle as well as a client
  • moodle 1.4.3
  • PHP Version 5.0.3 and
  • mysql Ver 12.22 Distrib 4.0.23
  • using safari, as well as FireForx as web clients.

Cheerio,

Michael.
In reply to Jim Proctor

by Michael Schillo -
regarding the mentioned problem, I found the following error message in my apache log:

[Mon Feb 7 01:29:09 2005] [error] PHP Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /Library/WebServer/Documents/moodle/mod/workshop/assessments.php on line 614

Does anyone know what the problem is?

Cheerio,

Michael.

In reply to Jim Proctor

by Jim Proctor -
What is still unresolved here and in related threads is that, even when we switch from e.g. Safari to IE to fix the button problem, the desired assessment elements cannot be added, i.e. we are stuck and cannot use the Workshop module at all. I initially reported this problem on 26 October and could not identify a workaround so I installed the development (1.5) version of Moodle for a pilot course to test the workshop, which worked though there were some continued minor problems with Workshop, and of course lots of issues with the development version.

At this point it has been over three months, I am now back to a stable (1.4.3+ or 2004083132) version of Moodle for an actual course I am running, and the problem persists as the Workshop version installed with 1.4.3+ is unchanged (2004060401). Other threads report the possibility of the latest version of Workshop being backwards-compatible (with at least 1.4.2), but this sounds risky.

So what this means to me is that the entire Workshop module is unusable until 1.5 stable comes out (which will be when??), or until someone out there identifies a workaround for 1.4.3+. My students are slated to submit their draft papers via Workshop on 28 February...I will send a bottle of virtual champagne to whoever can solve this for me!

There is a larger issue here as well: if I am going to effectively pitch Moodle to my university as a courseware package we need to find ways to fix bugs quicker. Problems such as the above will really affect Moodle's image.

Thanks,

Jim
In reply to Jim Proctor

by Rudy Soetewey -
Same problems here. For peer- and selfassesment this module is of vital importance for us. We are at the stage that our school is going to make a decision on what platform to use. The fact that a vital module stays out of order for such a 'long' time, gives me very little defence when other people suggest other platforms. (The argument of freeware is of no importance here, because we rent servers, and other platforms are including that in their prices, so the total cost is more or less the same) I do understand the problems involved in solving this, but unfortunately our schoolboard don't care about that argument.
In reply to Rudy Soetewey

by Barron Koralesky -

We're having problems here too. When students try to save feedback for peer review they get the error:

Could not insert workshop element!

Any help?

Thanks!
In reply to Barron Koralesky

by Elizabeth Lewis -
We also are getting the Could not insert workshop element! message. During the initial setup of the strands for the accumulative type assessment.  For past workshops we had figured out that you cannot save anything until there is something typed in every element and it had to be typed or copied in rather quickly.  Once the elements were saved, the teacher used to be able to go back and ammend them and save regularly with no error message.  However, we are running the latest stable version of Moodle and this workaround does not seem to be working anymore.  In fact, I have had teachers go back to ammend elements and the elements that are just below where the edit is are totally deleted.  This has been such a valuable learning tool up until this point, I hope that we can continue to use it!