Backup a glossary

Backup a glossary

by sahar baradee -
Number of replies: 4

Hi every body

When I backup a glossary and restore it to another server, I don't find any of its entries.

With my best regards.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to sahar baradee

Re: Backup a glossary

by Nadav Kavalerchik -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Sahar smile

What version of Moodle are you using ? on the source server and on the destination server.

Do you mean images that are attached to the Glossary entries or linked or uploaded into it ?

Do you backup an entire course ? or do you use the import export tool of the Glossary activity ?

Nadav smile
In reply to Nadav Kavalerchik

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Glossaries only back up if you include user details in them when backing up. However if you export as xml file you can then import that into your new glossary and it will work.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Ray Lawrence -
And also bear in mind that this doesn't include images etc. that you may have in the glossary entries.

We've managed this in the past by setting up a generic account that creates glosssry entries and then we backup/restore retaining that user. It's not very elegant and not appropriate for many use cases.

The best solution would be if the Glossary backup could be modified so that media is captured in the XML file in the same way as a the Question Bank Moodle XML format.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to sahar baradee

by sahar baradee -

Hi everybody

Thank you all for your helpful replies which solve my glossary problem

With my best regards