Your browser must support XMLHttpRequest! Supported browsers include Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Safari and Opera

Your browser must support XMLHttpRequest! Supported browsers include Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Safari and Opera

by P K -
Number of replies: 7
Good Morning Moodlers!

Seems I've just installed Moodle for the first time on a CentOS 5.3 box. Moodle 1.9.7 with php-5.1.6, all the php extensions required and I'm getting the following issues:

On Firefox 3.6:

Chameleon is loading is perpetually on the top center of the screen (browser).

I get the following error: "Your browser must support XMLHttpRequest! Supported browsers include Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Safari and Opera"

It all seems fine on IE. Is this just an incompatibility issue? If not, how does one fix it on Mozilla?

Thanks for your help in Advance

Average of ratings: -
In reply to P K

Re: Your browser must support XMLHttpRequest! Supported browsers include Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Safari and Opera

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
XMLHttpRequest is used by AJAX, a way of refreshing parts of a page without reloading the whole page. Moodle has a site wide Admin setting for configuring this. Login as admin and go to Appearance and look at the setting for AJAX and Javascript.
In reply to Marcus Green

Re: Your browser must support XMLHttpRequest! Supported browsers include Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Safari and Opera

by Alexander König -
Hi all,
I have the same problem. But I can´t fix it by adjusting the Admin settings sad
Best regards
alex
In reply to Alexander König

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
What browser are you using?
In reply to Marcus Green

by Lori Davies -
I received this error as well in FireFox 3.6 on a Mac. FF 3.5.7 does not get this error; I reinstalled it and then upgraded from it just to check. I tried disabling AJAX, then logged out, cleared my browser cache and closed the window. When I logged back in, I still got the error. I'm seeing it on the Theme Selector page.

I noticed when I searched for this that Chameleon came up: http://cvs.moodle.org/moodle/theme/chameleon/ui/chameleon_js.php?view=co look at the very last chunk of code. If I switch to the Chameleon theme, I get the error every time a page loads.
In reply to Lori Davies

by Ralf Krause -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Translators
Hi,

I entered this problem into the Moodle Tracker
http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-21606

The error come up everytime when Chameleon is active and the online theme configuration is switched on. You can switch on in the file moodle/theme/chameleon/config.php ein.

$THEME->chameleonenabled = true;
/// By setting this to true it enables editing of the stylesheets.
/// It is recommended to set this to false again once you're
/// satisfied with your theme.

If it set to true then you can edit the theme online and save the css files with your web browser. The error with Mozilla Firefox 3.6 shows "Chameleon in loading..." and the browser can't work with Moodle.

Setting this option to false moves the problem away ... but in he result of this you can't edit the theme with any browser.
$THEME->chameleonenabled = false;

Best wishes, Ralf
Attachment chameleon.png
In reply to Ralf Krause

by Ralf Krause -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Translators
Hi all,

Urs Hunkler resolved this problem and he wrote in MDL-21606
"FF 3.6 has problems with the used sarissa library. Following the sarissa forums the conflicting line can be commented out."
http://sourceforge.net/projects/sarissa/forums/forum/256492/topic/3508927

If you update your Moodle then also the problem with the theme Chameleon and the Firefox 3.6 will be fixed.

Urs, thank you for your support!

Ralf
In reply to Ralf Krause

by Jocelyn Graf -
I am having this problem and I don't understand how to fix it.

I have Moodle 1.9.7 and am having the same issue on Firefox 3.6.7 and IE 8.0.

I was trying to make a change using Chameleon. I enabled Chameleon, then went in and had to click a bar at the top of IE that asks if I want to run Active X. I clicked it and then it popped up again and again. I was able to get to Chameleon, so I went in to make changes and clicked "save to server". However, when I clicked the logout button, it warned me that I had made changes without saving them. And, when I logged back in, the changes were gone.

So, I followed the advice above and went into the admin --> appearance and changed each of the AJAX settings to enable (one was checked and I checked it, and the other was the opposite).

Then, I could log in and get the warning bar just once, and then Chameleon would load. I went in and made changes and chose "save to server". There is no longer a warning when I log out. Yet, when I log out and back in, my changes are gone.

I tried to go to the link mentioned above but I couldn't understand it, and when I clicked on the MDL link it wouldn't give me access.

(What I'm actually trying to do is eliminate the transparent calendar popup problem mentioned here: http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=56320).