Best way to share many links?

Best way to share many links?

by Chris Liang-Vergara -
Number of replies: 11

Hi-

I have a few teacher that would like to share a significant quantity of links - but not have to put each one on the front page of their course.  It'd be more of depository of helpful websites.

I'm wondering if anyone has a tip on works best for this.  The two things that come to mind are a basic html page (which can get weird with formatting) or a database.  Any other suggestions?  Thanks!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Chris Liang-Vergara

Re: Best way to share many links?

by Maryel Mendiola -
Hi Crhis

Teachers could use their Blogs to share links an all kind of stuff they want ;)

cheers
In reply to Maryel Mendiola

by Glenys Hanson -
Hi Chris,

I use either the resource "Compose a web page" if it's really very long, or a block on the side if I want to be sure students see it.

Cheers,
Glenys
In reply to Maryel Mendiola

by Maryel Mendiola -
Hi everyone smile

Reading again this topic (thanks Helen Foster),
I noticed that I didn't specified my answer

it says:
'Teachers could use their Blogs to share links an all kind of stuff they want ;)'

and must say:

Teachers could use their Moodle Blogs to share links an all kind of stuff they want ;)

cheers

by Harald Torbjørnsen -

Hi Chris.

We use the forum to share links across schools and courses. The teachers have a common course in which they share links, teaching plans, etc.. Then the teachers, who subscribe to the forum, receive e-mail every time there is added a new link. In addition, they can also use the RSS feed.

cheers

Harald

by Ryan Chadwick -
A wiki may be useful also.
In reply to Ryan Chadwick

by Daryl Hunt -
What about using a service like Delicious and tag your links with for example the class name so your students can easily search.
In reply to Daryl Hunt

by Nigel Robertson -
I use Diigo to collect bookmarks but Delicious works the same. Using the RSS block in Moodle, I can add the RSS feed for a particular tag (e.g. class name, or topic) to a paper/course. Students are then exposed to links without them taking up space in the main body of the paper. The database is also a solution that I would use.

One further thing that is worth considering is developing activities that have students adding, rating, commenting or summarising links and web pages rather than just having lots supplied.

by Jon Witts -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
I often use the database to present a series of web links. I even sometimes include a screen grab and description or related subjects for each site too. Users can then use the search function of the database to find the link they are after.

Jon

by Danny Wahl -
We're using a modified version of the Aardvark theme as our site "default" template and one of the drop downs we have is called "resources" with a collection links that our teachers find most helpful or our school has a subscription to.

Using the capabilities function I added more functionality by determining if users are: guests, parents, students, or teachers and then showing or not showing them more categories/links

https://school.tiseagles.com

If you look at the Category called "subscriptions", when a teacher is logged in another link is populated called "subscription passwords" that links to a text file with the login credentials for those resources.

To further abstract it:

We have a hidden course that all campus teachers/ administrators are enrolled in. This is where that text file is stored as a resource, so even if a guest/student were able to get past the capability check, they still couldn't access our campus teacher resources, as they would get hit with another capability check: enrolment.

At the same time the campus teacher course is hidden, because every resource is populated in the menu, and it's just one less link for teachers to remember/bookmark, especially since they can get to the resources from any page in our Moodle Site.

by Christina Carpenter -

I use Pinterest to share links with my students--that way I can categorize them.

See an example here: www.pinterest.com/ccarpent1

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Christina Carpenter

by Paula Clough -

A glossary or database is a great way to share websites or files or ideas without listing on the front course page.

Paula Clough cool