New Learning Styles Tests module (LSTest)

New Learning Styles Tests module (LSTest)

by Borja Rubio Reyes -
Number of replies: 50
CICEI (Innovation Center for Information Society) at the ULPGC (University of Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, Spain) has been researching in Learning Styles. In 2005 we presented in a previous discussion of Conditional Activities forum, a learning styles test module that was a part of my Master Thesis

The module allows to define and evaluate new learning styles tests. By default CHAEA (Cuestionario Honey-Alonso de Estilos de Aprendizaje) is defined. Main features:

• Allows interactive definition (from module administration) of new test through a sequence of pages that will ask for the necessary information.
  • Allows to export/import tests to/from a file in XML format.
  • Allows students to take a test and see their results (graphically and by means of tables) compared with the course average results, category average results and platform average results.
  • Allows teachers to see the answers to each question and the results (compared with the three average results mentioned in the previous point) of all students in the course and to obtain various statistics (number of course students in which each style predominates, maximum and minimum results obtained, number of students who chose every possible answer for each question, ...).
  • All texts and help messages in English and Español-Internacional (es).
NOTE: The module was developed for older versions of Moodle and it has been modified the minimum to make it work in version 1.9. So, for example, it uses deprecatedlib.php functions to get course students, creates the database using mysql.php and postgres7.php instead of install.xml, ...

Hay una discusión del módulo en español.

It can be downloaded from here to 1.6 and 1.9 versions.

Saludos.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Borja Rubio Reyes

Re: New Learning Styles Tests module (LSTest)

by John Andrewartha -
Thank you for a very useful module. I hope you received suitable excellent comment for your work.
It installs without any problems on Moodle 1.9.6.

The only small problem I have is all the text is in Spanish and a way of if possible shortening and maybe changing the questions.
I can see this module being very useful in evaluating learning styles.

John
In reply to John Andrewartha

by Borja Rubio Reyes -
Hi John,

and thanks for your comment. The module texts and help messages should be in English and Spanish. And by default only a test (CHAEA) is defined and all its text is in Spanish. New tests can be definded from module administration.

"a way of if possible shortening and maybe changing the questions"

I am not sure I understand. You can edit the test from module administration. You can also export CHAEA test to a file, change the file and import again. Or you can export CHAEA test to a file, change the name of the test in the file, import the test and edit the test by web. Does this answer your question?

And this module was developed having in mind the possibility of define new test but actually with the intention to use CHAEA. So I am not sure if it suits all kinds or learning styles tests.

Saludos.

by John Andrewartha -
Hi,
Thanks. I was looking in the wrong place blush. My defense is to much Christmas Spirit.

I will give it a good work out early in the new year. I am sure there is a working committee in it just designing the questions for various age levels.

The Seasons Greeting to you and you family and a Prosperous New Year.

John

by Borja Rubio Reyes -
Hi John,

Thanks a lot and I'm glad that you find it useful.

Prosperous New Year.

by Paul Raper -

Could someone just tell me how and where to install it please. I have unzipped it into a local directory, and assume I simply upload it to the mods directory where my moodle resides.

Paul

In reply to Paul Raper

by Borja Rubio Reyes -
Hi Paul,

installation is like any other module; you must copy the content of the .zip (lstest folder) into your moodle/mod folder. Then click in Site Administratition > Notifications.

Regards.

by Paul Raper -
Many thanks, that has worked perfectly. The only thing is I can only get a Spanish language version of the test. Is it possible to get an English version?

회신: Re: New Learning Styles Tests module (LSTest)

by Jong-Dae Park -

Hi!

Thanks for your wonderful job.

English version of CHAEA may be helpful for the default test. It may be not difficult to translate CHAEA into english using Google translator.

I looked at the example-tests folder and I found that the xml files were encoded in ISO-8859-1.

I wonder if I can change the encoding format into utf-8 when I export the tests.

Thanks.

JD Park

by Borja Rubio Reyes -
Hi,

module in version 1.9 has been modified to use UTF-8 encoding for import/export learning styles tests through xml files.

In addition, the import of learning styles tests using xml files was failing. This module was developed some years ago and it was still using the variable $HTTP_POST_FILES to upload the files. Now it uses $_FILES.

Those who are using the module should download it again and use the new code.

Jong-Dae thanks for the warning.

Saludos.

by sara tarief -

I need more details about LSTTest I don't understand the idea completely  so can anyone help me please

thanks

In reply to sara tarief

by John Andrewartha -
Sara,
Learning style refers to how a student learns. Are they Teacher lead with objectives? Self lead with open objectives? ETC.
It can also refer to how the student learns best. Are they Visual learners need lots of graphics? Or Auditory learners need lots of verbal input? Or both?

If you ask the correct questions you get fairly definitive answers and can design courses to suite. We have about 20% of students that need strong visual & auditory with no paper and pen.
Knowing the learning style helps us design for specific targets.
I think that is about as clear as mud but I hope it helps.
When I mentioned it to my staff they suggested I form a committee. Like we need another camel in AU.big grin

John

by Johnathan Leslie -
Does anyone have a LSA created for this module in English that you will be willing to share here? I do not know how to create a Learning Style test.

Thanks!

J
In reply to Johnathan Leslie

by John Andrewartha -
What ages? And probably no. The sample in ES seem to be for undergrads and above.

Why would you want to test on ECL when the learning style is developing? Would the average 9 year old sit through 80 questions? NO! Before the Xcultural gets factored in.

It is a case of develop your own question bank. Probably pick your target group give them a white lab coat each put them in the maze and tell them there is a nice cheese at the end. big grinbig grin
John

by sara tarief -
thanks this is great idea
but there are a lot of things u can use to determine the student's learning style like their
portfolio or user persona ,preparing test is very difficult and need a lot of effort but if this idea success it will be very helpful
go a head and don't make anything stop you, I support you
Sara

In reply to sara tarief

by Paul Raper -

Actually Sara you are quite right. When I was reading my methodology module for my Masters degree I ended up researching a lot of different approaches to learner style testing. There are in fact those who would go so far as to test groups specifically according to their job type. Ie. engineers get their own learner styles test as apposed to say bankers. Silvermann.

Then there are tests such as Karl Jung's test and Myer and Briggs. Whilst some of these can be more specifically termed personality tests, the arguments rage on regarding the boundaries between personality traits and learning styles.

There are also some great tests on line for Gardner's MIs, and also Vester's learning styles.

I think in the in the end, you have to decide why you want to test and what are you looking for as the results. Finally, how are you and the students who get these results going to interpret them and use them.

In reply to Paul Raper

by nouran radwan -
how can i create a new Learning Styles Tests module ?

by Joachim Vogelgesang -
Hi,
I installed LSTest-module - my system (1.9.5, php 5.1.6 on local MAMP) indicates LSTest module in my site-admin-modules (notifications showed loading database ok); but when I try to edit in modules/activities/lstest the next step is showing me: You haven't used this page correctly. Also, after adding the lstest-activity in a course, clicking continue-button or any other, appears You haven't used this page correctly.

Furthermore the module modified my block "Accessibility" (buttons no more horizontally in 2 lines but vertically in 1 line and no more backgroundimage) removing LSTest-module, accessibility is ok again, so the reason seems to be really Lstest-modul.
What did I make wrong? This happend to somone too?
Joachim
Attachment accessibility_block.jpg
In reply to Joachim Vogelgesang

by Borja Rubio Reyes -
Hi Joachim,

could you overwrite details.php with the attached one and see if You haven't used this page correctly error dissapear?

Saludos.

by Joachim Vogelgesang -
Ola,

I think half of way you got - will say: in activities lstest is running now (after first survey); in administration modul not yet, still the same You haven't used this page correctly.

After completing test apears You are not supposed to use this script like that.
Beginning second time lstest in activities, I got the results; I will test more...

Congratulations!
Thanks a lot
Joachim

by sara tarief -

hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

i need to know how to install this test ?

thanks

by Borja Rubio Reyes -
Hi,

module in version 1.9 has been modified because it was misconfiguring the appearance of some blocks like the accessibility one. The reason is that the module had a file called styles.php (related to learning styles) and I suppose that the blocks were failing due to interpret it as a cascading style sheet file. Simply changing the file name (and all references to that file from within other files) from styles.php to lstyles.php the problem was fixed.

In addition, German translation (de_utf8) of module texts has been added also thanks to Joachim Vogelgesang.

Those who are using the module should download it again and use the new code.

Saludos.

by Borja Rubio Reyes -
Hi,

module in version 1.9 has been modified to add German translation (de_utf8) of module texts, help messages and all learning styles tests. Besides modified Kolb/Honey-Mumford test has been added in de_utf8. All this thanks to Joachim Vogelgesang.

On the other hand, CICEI Implementation of Conditional Activities has been modified to add the two new conditions mentioned in this post.

Saludos.

by Joanna Tsai -
Hi,

Thanks for your wonderful work, it looks nice except it is in Spanish. It means if we need an English demo test, we need create a new test, right?

Thanks!
In reply to Joanna Tsai

by Borja Rubio Reyes -
Hi Liu,

you are ok, if you need an English test you need create a new test.

Regards.
In reply to Joanna Tsai

by Joachim Vogelgesang -
You can find the test in English language here: http://www.estilosdeaprendizaje.es/chaea/chaeagraf2eng.htm
Use for your LSTest lächelnd

by Stuart Frankland -

Hi, I have used the english version from Joachims link to edit the CHAEA_Spanish.xml file in example-tests folder, and have moved everything else to a temp area.

Still cannot get the module to display anything but a Spanish version.

Any help would be appreciated as I am hoping to use this module from September for all students.

Thanks

Stuart

In reply to Stuart Frankland

by Stuart Frankland -

I now have all the 80 questions in english, only bits still to convert are

Poco de acuerdo

Bastante de acuerdo

not 100% sure of the conversion to English

Stuart

In reply to Stuart Frankland

by Ciara Rogers -
Hi Stuart,

I wonder would you be so kind as to post your English version?

Thanks
Ciara

by Paul Raper -
Is there any way to get that as a file which I can upload onto my own site? cool
In reply to Paul Raper

by Borja Rubio Reyes -
Hi Paul,

I think that english version is attached on this post.

Regards.

در پاسخ به: Re: New Learning Styles Tests module (LSTest)

by Fatemeh Orooji -

Dear Borja Rubio Reyes

I was adding new questionnaire but I could not find how I can import an XML file?

I have installed moodle 1.9 before.

Thanks 

In reply to Fatemeh Orooji

Re: در پاسخ به: Re: New Learning Styles Tests module (LSTest)

by Borja Rubio Reyes -

Hi Fatemeh,

you can import an XML file from Site Administration > Modules > Activities > LSTest

Regards.

در پاسخ به: Re: در پاسخ به: Re: New Learning Styles Tests module (LSTest)

by Fatemeh Orooji -
Hi, I wanted to import the English version. I tried but I have received this error message: "Apache HTTP Server has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience." How should I solve the problem? And I have another question: If I want to define another LS questionnaire which has some questions and each question has some specific answer (not just yes and no), is this module capable of defining such a questionnaire? Thanks

by Eddie Walsh -
Hi, do you have any plans to release a version of this module that is compatible Moodle 2.0?

Thanks.
In reply to Eddie Walsh

by Borja Rubio Reyes -
Hi Eddie,

our idea is to adapt this module to Moodle 2.0, but I can not say yet when we will do.

Regards.

by Angelica Magpantay -

Hi,

I would like to seek your help. Can you suggest different moodle features appropriately for the Learning Styles like Multiple Learning Styles (Adaptive, Intuitive,Visual, Sensing, Active and Global)? I really need your suggestions for our first year implementation of Moodle.

Your answer will be much appreciated.

Thank you.

In reply to Angelica Magpantay

by John Andrewartha -

Hi Angelica,

You migh be better asking this question in the K - 12 forum.  You might also mention the subject and year that you teach.

by sabrina Leone -

Hi Borja.

I was wondering if in the meantime you've adapted the learning style module for Moodle 2.0.

Thanks,

sabrina

In reply to sabrina Leone

by Borja Rubio Reyes -

Hi Sabrina,

we have not adapted the learning style module for Moodle 2.0 yet. Sorry.

Regards.

by sami ft -

Hi Borja,

let's me ask you this question, I want to implement that for felder-silverman for my project, how can I do that?

and your learning style module, how add to moodle?

I have moodle 1.8 on my laptop.

In reply to sami ft

by Joachim Vogelgesang -

Hi Sami,

in comparison to LSTest the Felder-Silverman Learning Styles Model contains 3 additional dimensions: Input (visual/verbal), Organization (inductive/deductive), and Understanding (sequential/global) additional 3 - and therefore resulting other questions/answers.

But you can modify F.-S. Model inserting inside LSTest making a new xml-file (using one of the teststyles.xml inside example-tests folder).

Installation of LSTest is like any other module; for more information: http://docs.moodle.org/en/Installing_contributed_modules_or_plugins

HTH,

Joachim

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Aaron Lefts -

Hi,

I was wondering if there was anyway of saving the outcome to the student's profile. E.g. Adding something to their profile so that when they have done the quiz and have their learning style a field on thei profile could say 'Visual'or something similar?

EDIT: Just realised to do this I need to find out the most dominant style, would it be possible to get rid of the pertincy levels and just find out the most dominant style?

Thanks

by navri 8 -

Hi Borja,  
do you have any plans to release a version of this module that is compatible Moodle 2.x ? 

Thanks.

In reply to navri 8

by Matt Bury -
Picture of Plugin developers

Before diving head-first into implementing learning styles evaluations with students, I think it's worth taking the time to check up on what the current scientific evidence-based understandings are and the possible outcomes of doing so. We should be making reasonably well-informed decisions when others' learning is our responsibility.

With this in mind, I recently wrote an article:

Learning Styles, Mindsets, and Adaptive Strategies

"Do learning styles promote learning? Are they helpful for learners at the various stages/levels of their development of understanding in their subject areas? Should learners use learning styles psychometric tests to determine how they should view their study habits and how they approach studying? In this article, I argue that far from being helpful, the fixed mindset that learning styles promotes acts to hinder learners’ cognitive and metacognitive development and can be counter-productive in the longer term. I describe how learning styles encourage learners to use the same study strategies regardless of context, as personal rules of thumb, and that this encourages learners to ossify their study habits rather than to allow them to develop and grow."

Source: http://matbury.com/wordpress/2015/08/12/learning-styles-mindsets-and-adaptive-strategies/

In reply to navri 8

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

According to his profile, Borja last accessed the site in January 2014, so its unlikely you will get a response here