how do I cross-link content from one course to another

how do I cross-link content from one course to another

by Thorwald Westmaas -
Number of replies: 7

I'm just getting started with Moodle but I wonder how this can best be done.

Say, we have a language course that is basically a grammar reference book.  It contains explanations and optional exercises around these grammar topics.

Then we have reading & comprehension courses.  People read an articles and answer questions, write a summary, etc.

I know one can create glossaries to link content to an explanation but would it be possible to link that (glossary) explanation or the word itself directly to the appropriate topic in the other course so the student can fresh-up his/her knowledge on that particular topic?

Thorwald

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Thorwald Westmaas

Re: how do I cross-link content from one course to another

by Bryan Williams -
Thorwald,

The glossary highlight feature will not work between courses, but you can create a hyperlink to the other course glossary entries that should work for students that are enrolled in both courses (in same instance of Moodle).
In reply to Thorwald Westmaas

by N Hansen -
I've got a similar situation, and while there are a couple work-arounds, none are completely satisfactory. Currently there are two alternatives as far as I can ascertain-you can make a glossary "global," which means it can be linked to from every course on your site. But this would only be useful if every course on your site were related to the grammar course. The other option would be to duplicate the glossary in more than one course, but then this is kind of redundant. There are some moves in the work to make various sorts of content shareable between courses, and perhaps the sharing of glossaries should be included.
In reply to N Hansen

by Dave Bethany -

I have done this in several instances and it works quite well.

I create the link/page/resource in one "course". I then go back to the menu area where that information is located, right click and copy the properties to the clipboard.

Go to the second "course", create the link in that course and paste the copied link to the required area. It works great and is really easy to do.

Dave

In reply to Dave Bethany

by Carsten Peters -
Dear all,

this solution has already been answered in some other thread, however, it works so fine for me, so I will repeat it.
It does not solve the cross-link problem, but it shares resources among courses.

Enter your courses one by one and set up a list of your courses
http://your.site/moodle/course/view.php?id=16
Write down the number that follows id=
Lets say your courses are 16, 17 and 18
On the server go to /var/www/mooodledata (or whatever your directory might be). You will see a bunch of directories named by number. Do the following:
Create a new directory and copy the contents of 16, 17 and 18 into it. Delete the directories 16, 17 and 18 and create simbolic links instead:
cd /var/www/mooodledata
mkdir teacher1
cp 16/* teacher1/
cp 17/* teacher1/
cp 18/* teacher1/
rm -r 16
rm -r 17
rm -r 18
ln -s teacher1 16
ln -s teacher1 17
ln -s teacher1 18

Now all of your resources are accessible from all of your courses.

Regards,
Carsten
In reply to Carsten Peters

by David Cockayne -
For people searching for a way to share only a few items from one course to another, if you know the path to the file from the course root of courseA and the courseID of courseA (it shows in the url when you look at the course page, view.php?id=42)

then inside of courseB you can link to a file or website as normal but put
../42/mydoc.doc 
in the location field. This will allow you to maintain a single document in one courseA but have links to it from several different courses.
In reply to David Cockayne

by Anthony Borrow -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Am I correct in thinking that this approach assumes that the student is also enroled in both both courses?

In reply to Anthony Borrow

by Amy Groshek -
Yes, but you can eliminate the enrollment key and that would allow students to enroll when they followed the link. Another step, but it'd work.

When I'm sharing content in a handful of courses I create a course with just the shared content, no enrollment key, and link to there from the other courses.