Site News - Shorten Posts & Prevent Students from Replying to News

Site News - Shorten Posts & Prevent Students from Replying to News

by Kevin Elsey -
Number of replies: 3
Here is what I wanted to do.

I want the Site News posts to be shortened (via short_300, long_400 post settings in the forum settings) AND I don't want to allow students to reply to the "Site News" (via override permissions setting students to not be able to reply to news)

However, for some reason when you override students and set "Reply to News" to "prevent" it doesn't shorten the posts on the site news, instead the entire post is shown.

Can anyone help me figure this out - All I want is these 2 things to happen at the same time...

1) Posts get shortened on the front page in Site News, with link to full post
2) Students are not allowed to reply to news

I'm using v1.9.5

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
thanks
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Kevin Elsey

Re: Site News - Shorten Posts & Prevent Students from Replying to News

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Kevein. I am somewhat puzzled here because students should NOT, by default, be able to reply to site news (have you checked beforehand that they can't?) If they can, it suggests you have altered the role on the front page or altered their permissions somehow.
In reply to Mary Cooch

Re: Site News - Shorten Posts & Prevent Students from Replying to News

by Kevin Elsey -
You're right, I'm sorry - my post was a bit confusing on that point. This may be a clearer way to describe what happened in a time line.

1) I set up the Site News on the front page
2) Students could see the posts, and they could NOT reply to them (which is good functionality)
3) Then I realized the posts were getting a bit long and causing students to scroll too much down the page
4) I went into the Forum settings and adjusted the Short to 300, and Long to 400.
5) In a test_student account I noticed that the posts were not shortening, however, in my admin account it showed the posts shortening
6) So I figured that my admin status (which allows me to reply to site news) had some permissions that caused the shortening of posts to work correctly
7) I went into the Site News Override Permissions for a Student and changed the "Reply to News" to Permit
8) Then, when I logged into the Test_Student account the Posts were shorter with the link to view the full post

So what it seemed like to me was that to make the shorten posts function work, I had to have "Reply to News" changed to Permit for students.

Any thoughts on how to make the shorten posts work without having to override "Reply to News" for the students?

thanks
In reply to Kevin Elsey

Re: Site News - posts not shortening for students bug

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Good detective work Kevin! However, the problem of posts not shortening for students seems to have been around for a long time and will require a lot of work to fix - see MDL-4781.

To encourage Petr to fix it, please vote for the issue. (You'll need a tracker account in order to vote.) Developers love fixing bugs with lots of votes!