Gathering information on students

Gathering information on students

by Darren Hitchen -
Number of replies: 12

Hi,

Would like to give my students a form to complete so they can rate their own ability in ICT and ICT packages and Maths (maybe using a radio type button choice) of one to six. Also I would like to ask the students questions that would let me know information in text form. ie. filling in text about past schooling history.

Is this at all possible,

Darren Hitchen  

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Darren Hitchen

Re: Gathering information on students

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
If you have permissions to add new modules to your Moodle then check out the questionnaire module or the feedback modules (in the downloads tab on this page>modules and plugins) They will do just what you want - in fact,we use them for similar type stuff at our place.
In reply to Darren Hitchen

by Elizabeth Swoope -
Darren,

You can gather both types of information using the Feedback module. However, there is one VERY BIG caveat.

If you are satisfied with viewing the information summarized within Moodle, it works great. However, if you want to export the data so that you can analyze it (e.g., in worksheet or CSV format that can be imported into a spreadsheet, data management, or statistical program), the Feedback module is not the way to go. The Feedback module does export the data, sort of, but it's from its own analysis.

You can view each student's individual responses, and you can print them, but it's tedious.

I'd love to have the ability to export the student data as analyzable data. I could then import it into Excel and/or Access and create easily printable forms to print each student's data on a page, but printing all pages with one command. As it is, I have to view each student's answers and print manually. That's tedious, at best, with a small class. Can't imagine doing it with a medium or large class.

liz
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Elizabeth Swoope

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
So that is a reason for using the Questionnaire module then, in preference, because you can export to Excel, etc smile
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Elizabeth Swoope -
Mary,

Alas, we don't have the questionnaire module at LSU. We've just recently gotten the feedback module.

The data are there. It's just a matter of getting them out... I don't know how much programming that would take, but I've asked for this as an enhancement.

liz
In reply to Elizabeth Swoope

by Anthony Borrow -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
While you can export the analyzed results, I did see that you cannot choose what format (Excel, OpenOffice, .csv) nor select the field to export and just get the user data which might be more helpful. It should not be overly difficult to do and is somewhat related to MDL-19406 which I have commented on and voted for. Others are welcome to watch, vote, and comment on MDL-19406 as we work to improve the feedback module. For some the current excel export may be sufficient but I think there is certainly rom for improvement. Thanks for being part of the process to bring those improvements about. Peace - Anthony
In reply to Anthony Borrow

by Paula Clough -

Anthony,

I would love to vote on this issue, but am unable to.  When I try to login on this site, it doesn't take my moodle.org login and there is no where to sign up.  Could you give me more info on how to do this?

Thanks, Paula

In reply to Paula Clough

by Anthony Borrow -
Paula - You should be able to create a new account if you go to http://tracker.moodle.org/ (see attached screen shot where it says Signup for new account. Unfortunately the Moodle.org site and the Tracker site accounts are completely separate. While there may be hopes that these might one day be the same, for the moment it remains a work in progress. Let me know if you still have troubles and I will try to give more specific help. Peace - Anthony
Attachment tracker.png

by Paul Ganderton -
Hi Anthony,

I think I voted for this (not as stupid as it sounds - I've tried to verify this this evening but the page times out).

I have a specific need to gather data. A colleague wants to give all students (c.1100) a questionnaire on preferred learning styles and then export and analyse the data, mainly by class. My immediate and obvious answer was 'use Moodle survey/feedback' but by the sounds of this discussion, data analysis might not be so easy. Apart from your fix can you think of a more suitable way round this?

Thanks,

Paul
In reply to Paul Ganderton

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Paul,
As already suggested by Mary, I suggest using the Questionnaire module which will do exactly what you want. Be warned, however, that your Moodle site may be strained upon exporting data for 1100 questionnaire responses...
Joseph
In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Anthony Borrow -
Alternatively, if we are talking about a situation where the data was already gathered using Feedback, you could work on creating a SQL query and exporting the results of that query to a CSV file which could be opened in analyzed in a spreadsheet program. Peace - Anthony

by Ron Hansum -
Anyone willing to share SQL code to select the data out of the feedback module OR willing to list the pertinant tables and their relationship?
In reply to Ron Hansum

by Ron Hansum -
Problem resolved.   Found the second tab on the Excel export from the feedback module.   It has all the detailed data I need.  No need to respond to my previous request.