Extra linebreaks in Cloze

Extra linebreaks in Cloze

by Gergely Tamási -
Number of replies: 6

Hey,

I tried to put together a Cloze test in the quiz module. Everything works fine (i.e., the answers are correctly recognized etc.); however, after the first gap in the paragraph, a linebreak is inserted, thereby making the running text a bit awkward to follow.

I checked the html code, and there are no manual linebreaks or other tags inserted. Also, I tried to use the NOBR tag, but it is overwritten by some other superior force.

Does anybody have an idea how I could get my cloze test to display correctly?

Much appreciated,

Gergely

PS. Please find the actual cloze code below.

“Ever since the Pears {1:SHORTANSWER:=arrived}(1) in the neighbourhood three years ago my client, Mr Lamprey, has been {1:SHORTANSWER:=irritated}(2) by the birds. He finally {1:SHORTANSWER:=despaired}(3) of {1:SHORTANSWER:=becoming}(4) accustomed to the noise the night that one of the birds started to call out his name. Mr Pear would appear to have taught the bird to say the name "Herbert" with the sole intention of {1:SHORTANSWER:=provoking}(5) my client.

“Having {1:SHORTANSWER:=discussed}(6) the problem with his colleagues, my client {1:SHORTANSWER:=contacted}(7) the City Council with a view to {1:SHORTANSWER:=lodging}(8) a complaint. The switchboard {1:SHORTANSWER:=connected}(9) him to the Social Services Department, where a woman promised to {1:SHORTANSWER:=investigate}(10) the matter the following week. The woman never {1:SHORTANSWER:=came}(11). Another time was {1:SHORTANSWER:=arranged}(12), but again the woman failed to appear. In fact, this initial visit was continually {1:SHORTANSWER:=postponed}(13) until six months later, when a council officer finally {1:SHORTANSWER:=visited}(14). After a brief inspection, the officer said he would {1:SHORTANSWER:=refer}(15) the case to the Environmental Health Department.”

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Gergely Tamási

Re: Extra linebreaks in Cloze

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hey toowink,

I copied your code into a Cloze question on my Moodle 1.9 test site. It is working fine (see attached). No line break appears. If you are getting a line break, then some (invisible) code must be there in your code. Did you first type this in a word processor then did a copy-paste into your HTML moodle question editor?

Joseph

Attachment image00.jpg
In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Gergely Tamási -

Hmmm - this is getting more and more peculiar.

Well, first I used Hotpotatoes 6 to create the quiz and imported it into Moodle. When it had the unwanted linebreaks, I cut and pasted the code into Notepad, and I cut and pasted it back into Moodle. When it still didn't work, I created a new question from scratch and manually typed in the whole text and code. So at the end of the day, I really don't know what might be going on.

Thanks for the feedback, anyway.

Gergely

Attachment linebreaks.jpg

by Gergely Tamási -
Joseph,

I finally managed to figure out a way to work around the problem: I embedded the individual paragraphs into table cells, and now everything seems fine.

Thanks a lot for your feedback again.

Best,

Gergely

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Gergely,
As shown in my post of late August, it is perfectly possible to have paragraphs in a Cloze question. There is no reason to use tables for that. But I'm glad you solved your problem anyway,
Joseph

by Gergely Tamási -
Dear Joseph,

Thanks for your reply.

I do apologize for the possible misunderstanding. I was not arguing whether it is a fact of life that Moodle inserts a compulsory line break after the first gap in the cloze test. I merely tried to point out a possible way to work around the issue if for whatever reason other users may be facing the same problem. Hence my reply.

Gergely

by Luuk CARNEL -
Hello Gergely,

I have exactly the same problem, but it appears only in Internet Explorer. With Firefox everything is working perfectly.

Your workaround - putting the paragraphs in an individual table cell - is a good solution for now, but I would like to find out what causes this strange internet explorer - behaviour.

Best greetings,

Luuk