Unenroll/Reenroll Question

Unenroll/Reenroll Question

by Robert Duncan -
Number of replies: 11
Dear Moodlers:

I'm a newly minted JD and just started teaching Business Law for a small undergrad in Oklahoma. Our school uses Moodle, and I have one very specific question that I hope someone can help me with.

Imagine for a second that our class goes like this:

Let's say that I have a student named Bob.
I set up the course and have an assignment and some resources.
Bob enrolls in the course and completes an assignment.
I get a note from the program director that Bob isn't supposed to be in my class.
I unenroll Bob.
I get another note saying I should reenroll Bob.

My question is:

Does the work that Bob completed in the course get lost after I unenroll him?
Does that work "reappear" when Bob reenrolls?

I suppose I could test it out on some poor student, but I'd rather try for the hypothetical question rather than lose somebody's entire semester.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Robert Duncan

Re: Unenroll/Reenroll Question

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Yes, when Bob is re-enrolled, all his work reappears.

In reply to Helen Foster

by Mr. Marc -

I.m wondering the same thing in 1.9 you had the default enrollment duration setting on each course in 2.2 I dont see that  on the course, I do see it as an option tied to the user that is enrolled in the course?

Is that the only place it can be set in Moodle 2.2?

In reply to Helen Foster

by ben reynolds -

Just adding a note 3 years later that user data IS lost when a user is unenrolled from a course. I *think.*

In reply to ben reynolds

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Just following Ben to say I don't think it is - certainly in our school 1.9 if you unenbrol someone and then re-enrol them, all their stuff comes back . And in Moodle 2 there is an option:

but as for data like forum posts etc I don't know (haven't paid attention to it)

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to ben reynolds

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Yes, since Moodle 2.0, some data is lost when you unenrol a user from a course. (So perhas you only want to disable users' enrolments, 

This is controversial.

It is also not consistent. For example forum posts and wiki contributions are not deleted.

Grades definitely are deleted, but, as Mary showed, there is UI that tries to retrieve the old grades from the grade_history table when you re-enrol. I would not want to rely on that.

Quiz attempts are not deleted. There is currently a discussion about this in the quiz forum.

I am not sure about other data.

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Mostly data is not lost when you unenrol someone (it just becomes invisible in places like the gradebook and the quiz reports.) In collaborative activities like the forum, wiki and glossary, the contributions of the unenroled student just stay there.

There are a very few bits of data that do get deleted. The student will be taken out of any groups they are in, and un-subscribed from any forums they are subscribed to. I think that is all.
Average of ratings: Useful (2)

Re: Unenrolll Question

by jo cookie -

I am a student.  I'd like to remove classes that I was enrolled in from prior years (middle school).  I'm now in high school.  System does not give me the option to remove old courses.  How can I do this?  As far as I know, there are no school "moodle" administrator.  I'm not going to write to all my old teachers...

In reply to jo cookie

by Sakshi Goel -

Hi Jo Cookie

Do you have "Unenrol me from this course" link in Settings > Course administration block when you go inside the course. If yes, then you can click on that to unenroll yourself.

In reply to Sakshi Goel

by jo cookie -

When I "go inside the course", there is no option for Settings > Course administration.  There is no option anywhere.  

There is no obvious way to eliminate past years' courses.  It is frustrating.

In reply to jo cookie

by Christian Herman -

As a student you certainly can't delete an old course.  If the course was deleted you'd lose access to work you previously did and so would your school.

Someone in your school must be maintaining the Moodle site.  If they have not organized previous years' courses into collapsed categories or made them inactive, there's nothing you can do.  At least, not without trying to find out who administers Moodle for your school and contacting them.