Usability: Forums usability

Usability: Forums usability

by Tim Hunt -
Number of replies: 9
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
I just saw this paper:

http://www.micsymposium.org/apache2-default/mics_2007/papers/Rosato.pdf

Note it is focussing on Moodle 1.6.2, so is quite old, and like most poblished usability work on VLEs it does some general measurements, but does not make any actual recommendations about improving things.

In summary, they gave users half a dozen tasks to complete on Moodle, Sakai and WebCT, and compared performance.

The result that stood out for me is that people struggled on the task where they had to make a forum post.

Has anyone else observed that (users unable to work out how to post to a forum)? And can anyone work out what it is that causes people to struggle? And what we should do to improve things?
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Tim Hunt

Re: Usability: Forums usability

by Syndia Lengyel -

Good morning Tim,

I read the same article. You might find Appendix 9 - 12 (Usability Testing, particular Task 3 "Go to a Forum of your choice") of my dissertation of interest. Although, I used students who should be familiar with the system, they were not used to forums as the tools Moodle offers were not embedded into the studies from the lecturers point of view for many different reasons (see interview transcripts). Another thing I noticed that my participants rather "guessed" were they can find the forums and this is mainly due to unclear layout - some knew that they can access it via the activity block, other scrolled down a lot.

As I believe the performance transcripts are really useful for developers, I tried to do them as detailed as I could to avoid using videos, but still capture the knowledge (of course, I need to protect the participants).

Hope that helps.

All the best.

Syndia.

P.S.: In the module (moodle course) there were only very few posts and these ones were made by administrative staff rather than students.

In reply to Tim Hunt

by James Neill -
On searching a forum for a user name (to see what they've posted), nothing relevant comes up.
In reply to Tim Hunt

by James Neill -
On going to a forum, a good chunk of the screen real estate is taken up by banner, nav bar, the forum subscription links, and the forum description. In many cases, one has to use vertical scrolling just to get to the most recent post sad

And then, forum threads can't be sorted, so one is stuck with looking at them in reverse chrono order by last post, but in thread mode.

Furthermore, once one has read posts, on MyMoodle it doesn't indicate that they're no longer unread until one has logged out and back in again sad
In reply to Tim Hunt

by James Neill -
And the biggee, for me - one is forced to use web-interface to post to a forum - as opposed to sending via email, like a mailing list e.g., Google Groups
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Olli Savolainen -
Some notes that spring to mind:

In 2.0, the "Mail now" should have explanation 'by default this forum sends out an e-mail 30 minutes after you have posted it, to allow you time to make changes, to everyone who has subscribed this forum. If you are sure you are not going to want to change it, check “Mail now”'. Without that context the option does not make any sense. (I hope I guessed the meaning right.)

When replying to a post there are links to other posts in the thread above the subject field and the compose message box. Clicking any of these may lead the user to lose all the data they have written in the compose message box, depending on their browser, since clicking the back button may not restore the text (in Firefox restoring it requires the Lazarus extension). These links should instead have a plus/minus sign or an arrow in front of them and they should expand in the same window (via javascript) and have target="_blank" on the link without javascript (opening a new window is a smaller disaster than losing the data).

Also see the side track here for an experience losing data in Moodle.
In reply to Tim Hunt

by James Neill -
When I click on a user, then forum posts, it only seems to show the most recent 5 posts, then I need to click next to see 5 more etc. How could I view all of a user's posts or say 100 posts at a time? e.g., I would need to click 1188 times to see all of Tim Hunt's forum posts here - yikes!
In reply to James Neill

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi James,

To view Tim Hunt's 100 most recent posts, in the URL, change the perpage parameter from 5 to 100, e.g.

http://moodle.org/mod/forum/user.php?id=93821&course=5&mode=posts&perpage=100&page=0

Et voila (not all that user-friendly, of course, but it does work).

Joseph

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by James Neill -
OK, thanks, Joseph, that's good that its technically possible. It would more user-friendly if this option to see more of an individual's posts per page and also all posts with a button click.
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Ryan Chadwick -
If you are adding to a discussion that has already been started then I think it is confusing. Next to every person's comment is a link to reply. The thing that always comes to mind for me when I see this is that I am replying directly to the person who made the comment. (rather than adding to the discussion)

It would be nice if there was a link below the initial post (and possibly at the bottom of the list of replies as well) which said Add to discussion (or similar).

eg:

Initial post:
-----------------------
blah blah
-----------------------

Add to discussion

Replies:
-----------------------
and so on....