Confused: Qedoc, HotPotatoes Quiz, Hot Potatoes Module, and QuizPort

Re: Confused: Qedoc, HotPotatoes Quiz, Hot Potatoes Module, and QuizPort

by Gordon Bateson -
Number of replies: 9
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Tom,
there is no very good documentation on QuizPort yet, although some people have found the demonstration I did on the following video enough to get them started:

If you have already created the Hot Potatoes quizzes with images and sound files, then probably your quickest route to create what you want is to use the QuizPort module.

If you are having trouble installing QuizPort I would be happy to come over andhelp if you send me the access details: gordon at-mark kanazawa hyphen gu dot ac dot jp

Otherwise, if you would like help to build the set of quizzes into a unit then please upload the quizzes to my server so we can look at the mtogether there:

> is Hot Potatoes Quiz the same as HotPot Module?

Well in my mind, a Hot Potatoes quiz is something you create on your own PC using one of the programs in the Hot Potatoes suite, i.e. JCloze, JCross, JMatch, JMix, JQuiz. The HotPot module is the Moodle plugin which allows you to administer Hot Potatoes quizzes via Moodle and view details of the student's responses to the questions in the quizzes.

thanks
Gordon

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Gordon Bateson

by Tom B -
Thank you for the help.

I now have a HotPotatoes JQuiz quiz uploaded as a HotPot Module Activity. It has images and video. I can see the results of the quiz in Course-Administration / Grades.

What's missing? The Moodle Glossary which worked so well for the text does not work on the JQuiz (not surprising, but it sure would have been nice). However I can use simple "<a href ...>" tags around the vocabulary item to link to a glossary page.

Question: The user will be logged in, and will click to visit a page which I will place outside the moodle directory (I guess), perhaps root/public_html/mooodle_glossary/word01.html
Since the user will be logged in I should be able to use PHP to collect the username and pass it through to something,
How can I do that?

I can also use GoogleAnalytics.

Using Moodle Reports / Logs I can see the IP Address of each user.

In reply to Tom B

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
> The Moodle Glossary which worked so well for the text
> does not work on the JQuiz
> (not surprising, but it sure would have been nice)

The QuizPort module can do this for you. Just enable "Use glossary" for that quiz.

> Question: The user will be logged in, and will click to visit a page
> which I will place outside the moodle directory (I guess),
> perhaps root/public_html/mooodle_glossary/word01.html

Sorry I don't quite understand. You mean the user will click on a link in a Hot Potatoes quiz and go to the word01.html page?

> Since the user will be logged in I should be able to use PHP
> to collect the username and pass it through to something,
> How can I do that?

Sorry, I don't understand why you want to pass the Moodle username to a page outside of Moodle

Gordon

by Tom B -
If Glossary works in QuizPort then I'm all set

Then I don't have to try the confusing workaround
> The user will be logged in, and will click to visit a page
> which I will place outside the moodle directory (I guess),
> perhaps root/public_html/mooodle_glossary/word01.html

Now I just have to get QuizPort working.

by Jeff Mehring -
Hi Gordon,

I am trying to set up QuizPort. I have uploaded a JMatch, JQuiz, MP3 file, and Word Document to a folder in my Moodle file and I wish to use them with QuizPort. What I would like to happen is the student first does the JMatch exercise, then they listen to the MP3 file, then take the JQuiz, and finally listen to the MP3 file again and follow the transcipts from the Word Document.

I tried to download the demonstration video you mentioned on Eluminate but it is causing problems. I can download it, but when I try to play it, it always crashes. So I played with QuizPort trying different senarios, all to no avail. I can not get QuizPort to show the JMatch activity and when I do, it just repeats the activity without moving onto the second activity even though I have listed that activity in the "Next Activity" tab.

In the general section under source file, do I link the JMatch here or does that go in the configuration file? Since all the documents I uploaded, (JMatch, JQuiz, etc) are in a folder is this causing me problems? Should those documents be taken out of the folder?

Should "Add Quiz Chain" be yes since I want the student to do multiple activities or should it stay no?

I think if you could answer those questions, or give me some guidance, I could work my way through the rest of the module.

Thanks,
Jeff

In reply to Jeff Mehring

by Gordon Bateson -

Hi Jeff,

> In the general section under source file, do I link the JMatch here
> or does that go in the configuration file?

• Don't put anything in the config file field.
  • If you want to add just one quiz that set "Add quiz chain" to "No".
  • If you want to add several quizzes at once set "Add quiz chain" to "Yes"
    • If you put the path to the JMatch file in the source file field, QuizPort will start from that file and try and follow the chain, if any, that you have set up with the "Next quiz" buttons in your Hot Potatoes quizzes (JMatch -> Options -> Configure output -> Buttons).
    • If you put the path to the *folder* containing the quizzes (and other files) then QuizPort will look at all those files and add any that is recognizes as quiz files to the QuizPort unit.

> Since all the documents I uploaded, (JMatch, JQuiz, etc) are in a folder
> is this causing me problems?

No, I don't think so.

> Should those documents be taken out of the folder?

No, I don't think so. QuizPort will ignore files it does not recognize as quiz files.

If you could send me access info to your site I will come and set it up. The access info that you sent in May doesn't seem to work any more sad

all the best
Gordon

by Gordon Bateson -
Hi Jeff,
thanks for sending the updated access info.

If you want to present a mp3 file to your students, you will need to insert it into an html file anad then you can add the html file as a "quiz" in the QuizPort. The easiest way to insert an mp3 file into an html document to be used in a QuizPort is to use QuizPort's [square bracket] notation. In your case, you just need to add the following line:
  • [UK.mp3]
At the moment, QuizPort ignores Word documents - cheers from several listeners at the back wink, so you need to move that content into an html document and then you can add the html document into the QuizPort. As before, you can insert a player for the mp3 file into the html document using the [square bracket] notation.

Actually, I suggest you put the mp3 into the JQuiz by adding a reading (JQuiz -> File -> Add reading text) and then using the [square bracket] notation to insert a player for the mp3 file into the reading area of the JQuiz.

I have set up your QuizPort as described above. Please have a look at it, and let me know what you think

thanks
Gordon

by Jeff Mehring -
Gordon,

Thanks for the help. I have looked over what you set up and understand a lot more on how this is done. I am trying to create my own QuizPort now, with a new unit, but I can't figure out how to add quizzes to create this table. I can get the first quiz on the list, but can't figure out how to add a new quiz.

Also, I took the quizzes as a test and should have been given 100%, but was only given 60%. Changing the grading is in the JQuiz document or is it done in QuizPort?

Thanks again!
Jeff

Attachment Picture_1.png
In reply to Jeff Mehring

by Gordon Bateson -
Hi Jeff,
good to see you are making progress!

> I can't figure out how to add quizzes to create this table.
> I can get the first quiz on the list, but can't figure out how to add a new quiz.

Toward the bottom of the "Edit quizzes" page you will see a option to "Add more quizzes". If you select that and then click the "Save changes" button you will be taken to a screen where you can add one or more quizzes.

> I took the quizzes as a test and should have been given 100%,
> but was only given 60%.

This is probably something to do with the fact that this particular QuizPort had a different number of quizzes at different times yesterday as it was under development, and also the scoring currently allocates 100% to each html file, but this should be reduced to 0%, because you don't want to give people any credit just for looking at the file - do you?

I have reduced the score weighting for the html files to 0%, so now the scoring will work as you expect I think.

best regards
Gordon
Attachment quizport.excellent.png