Picture cutoff with IE7

Picture cutoff with IE7

by Graeme Starke -
Number of replies: 12

Hi

I have been developing site format with IE8 and Firefox and didn't realise a display issue until trying with IE7. I have a large graphic with html picture map as the main piece on my Front Page, with no left column items and all other items on the right. I am using the formal white theme.

The picture displays fine in IE8 & Firefox (and IE6), but with IE7 the picture is truncated to a part on the left.

Using the "view source" for IE7 I can see that the table left column has a width of 210px, and this is about the size of the part displayed so I assume that this is the offending code. However I have looked through all css files and cannot see where that code is coming from, and can't work out why it only does it with IE7.

Regards

Graeme

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Graeme Starke

Re: Picture cutoff with IE7

by jacques roux -
Hi Graeme,

Could you post two screenshots of your page in FF and in IE7?

Thanks!

In reply to jacques roux

by Graeme Starke -

Hi Jacques

Here is the screen as it should be in IE8

Attachment screen_IE8.gif

by Graeme Starke -

Here is the screen with IE8 running in Compatibility view - the effect is the same as native IE7 but I have upgraded so don't have that version anymore.

Regards

Graeme

Attachment screen_IE_compat.gif

by Jon Witts -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Where is your picture being displayed from? Is it set as a background image in CSS? To me it looks like IE7 is applying the white background from the centre column on top of the background from the whole table... Could be wrong though... don't really have a huge amount to go on!
In reply to Jon Witts

by Graeme Starke -

Hi

The picture is being displayed as the "Front Page Description Summary" on front page. I see what you mean about it possibly putting a white center block over the top. I have turned off any Course listings, so there is nothing to show in the third block.

Regards

Graeme

by Frank Ralf -
Hi Graeme,

Is that the center section or the block? If it's the block and you put it in the left column that might cause the problem.

hth
Frank

by Frank Ralf -
Hi Graeme,

got a little déjà vu , please see here:
http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=122525&parent=548264

Cheers,
Frank

PS:
Please read the answers to your postings before (cross) posting again. Thanks!
In reply to Frank Ralf

by Graeme Starke -

Hi

I am back here again because I'm no closer to an answer to my problem apart from avoiding it by using a different browser. I am very much a novice, to moodle and to this forum etiquette, but have tried to use these forums to get help with problems. One question has been ignored completely, two have received rather terse replies to post elsewhere and one I've been advised to send upline to my web hosting admin to see if the answer lies outside moodle. I still have all the problems.

This was my first, which still seems to be a "themes" issue so best dealt with here. Can someone please tell me where in the CSS theme sheets I can actually change the column width settings?

Regards

Graeme

by Frank Ralf -
For setting the width of the left column see http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=122525&parent=548264

You will have to add the rule to your style sheet as the width is hard-coded in the HTML, so you won't find it anywhere in CSS files.

hth
Frank
In reply to Frank Ralf

by Graeme Starke -

Hi Frank

I do have to thank you. I have put that line as suggested into the style sheet and it does appear to have fixed the issue - I think. I've catually got rid of or upgraded IE7 on all computers I have, but it seems to now be OK in Compatibility view, whereas it wasn't before.

(I think it more fitting to leave the answer here under themes because if anyone else has the problem they are likely to try here or follow the IE7 cutoff reference - that is the big problem I had as a novice ... finding where to post)

Thanks again

Graeme

by Frank Ralf -
Glad that helped.

Actually, all Moodle pages are supposed to be sent as "Strict XHTML" to the browser, so if your theme only works in "Compatibility Mode" there might be something wrong in another place (perhaps an unclosed HTML tag or the like) so keep your eyes open wink

Cheers,
Frank
In reply to Frank Ralf

by Graeme Starke -

Hi Frank

I'm not normally running in Compatibility Mode - that was just the way to get it to respond in the same way as IE7 did. It was just IE7 that had the glitch - every other browser (even IE6) seemed to be fine.

Thanks again.

Graeme