upgrading - quiz table problems - 1.5 -> 1.7 -> 1.9

upgrading - quiz table problems - 1.5 -> 1.7 -> 1.9

by Peter DeBruyn -
Number of replies: 4
Trying to upgrade an installation of 1.5.4+ to 1.9.5 and am told to upgrade to 1.7 first. In the process I get the errors below and cannot continue. I have tried this on a hosted server as well as my local machine (that produced the errors below). I have found various discussions of this problem in the forums but have not found a solution. Any help would be appreciated. Is there a way to upgrade a database without using the install script?

This script generated 3 warnings - Scroll to the first warning

quiz module needs upgrading

(mysql): CREATE TABLE `mdl_quiz_essay` ( `id` int(10) unsigned NOT NULL auto_increment, `question` int(10) unsigned NOT NULL default '0', `answer` varchar(255) NOT NULL default '', PRIMARY KEY (`id`), KEY `question` (`question`) ) TYPE=MyISAM COMMENT='Options for essay questions'
1050: Table 'mdl_quiz_essay' already exists

(mysql): SHOW TABLES
Scroll to previous warningUpgrade function xmldb_quiz_upgrade was not available in quiz: D:\xampp\htdocs\moodle/mod/quiz/db/upgrade.phpScroll to next warning

Scroll to previous warningUpgrading quiz from 2005060303 to 2006091901 FAILED!Scroll to continue button

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Peter DeBruyn

Re: upgrading - quiz table problems - 1.5 -> 1.7 -> 1.9

by Peter DeBruyn -
I saw that ... and upgrading from 1.5.4+ to 1.6.9 produced the following error (1 instead of 3 so maybe that helps):

quiz module needs upgrading

(mysql): CREATE TABLE `mdl_quiz_essay` ( `id` int(10) unsigned NOT NULL auto_increment, `question` int(10) unsigned NOT NULL default '0', `answer` varchar(255) NOT NULL default '', PRIMARY KEY (`id`), KEY `question` (`question`) ) TYPE=MyISAM COMMENT='Options for essay questions'
1050: Table 'mdl_quiz_essay' already exists

Error

Upgrading quiz from 2005060303 to 2006060700 FAILED!

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Wow! this is ancient history.

I think that in Moodle 1.5, essay was an optional add-on, and it got added to core in Moodle 1.6. That might be the cause of the problem.

One suggestion. If you look in the mdl_quiz_essay table and find that it is empty, you could just delete the table, and try the upgrade again.

If you do have data in there, you will have to work harder to make the upgrade work.

But, whatever you do, make sure you have a backup of your site from before the backup, so if you screw it up, you can go back and try again.

by Peter DeBruyn -
Deleting tables did not work for me. But, when I deactivated the quiz module altogether in 1.5 I was then able to upgrade. I was lucky not to have any quizzes to deal with.