Are Double Logins Allowed..?

Are Double Logins Allowed..?

by Baethuko Later -
Number of replies: 7
This is not clear to me yet: Can multiple people login with the same account, at the same time? How are double loginers handled?
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Baethuko Later

Re: Are Double Logins Allowed..?

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Yes! You can login from different browsers and/or machines at the same time as many times as you like. It's not really "handled" at all. In most cases there's no issues at all.

by Baethuko Later -
... but what happens in a paid training class? Can multiple people take the training paying a single subscription?

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Do you mean cheat the system? If you just have static resources that they look at then yes, I suppose several people could log on with the same log in and "learn" the stuff. If you have assignments, quizzes etc, then only the one username will appear in the results even if several people were repeatedly doing them -and the logs would alert you to that.

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
This does come up now and again... Let's say you find a way to restrict a username to a single login (and there are patches). What is different about a user logging in downloading the material, logging out and then giving their login details to a friend?

The *only* thing you can prevent is the same username being active in more than one place at the same time. Doing this would just inconvenience the users. Let's say I forget to log off and then go to log on at a different computer. I can't because I'm still recorded as logged in somewhere else.

This is really the bigger question of controlling access to material over the web. Many have tried.........
In reply to Howard Miller

by Eric Polatty -
You mentioned there are patches - can you possibly point me in the direction of a specific patch or two to do this?

Thank you so much for your help.

Eric
In reply to Eric Polatty

by Howard Miller -
I only recall that it has been discussed and I recall some patches being posted. You would need to search.

It's up to you but (as they say) unless you really know what you are doing, don't do this. It's mostly pointless and there's no way to definitive check if someone is logged in or not. All it will do is irritate your users. The web doesn't work that way.