Proposal to get rid of negative weights

Proposal to get rid of negative weights

by David Mudrák -
Number of replies: 6
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
For the new Workshop 2.0 I propose to get rid of the possibility to define negative weights of assessment elements. This has been added as an "experimental feature" and from my point of view it is not much useful. I think the teacher can always re-formulate the evaluation criterion so it it can use only positive weight values.
So, the proposal is that since 2.0, teachers will be able to define element weights by selecting the value from the list of 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, ... up to 16. The value of 16 is needed due to backwards compatibility: in pre-2.0, workshop supported weights 0; 0.25; 0.5; 0.75; 1.0; 1.5; 2 and 4. During the upgrade, weights will be multiplied by 4 to get integer values.

I would like to hear eventual objections against the proposal. Have you ever used the negative weights? Do you really need them?
Average of ratings: -
In reply to David Mudrák

Re: Proposal to get rid of negative weights

by Arturo Valdivia -
Hola David,

You have my vote to remove negative weights smile

IMHO the only good thing about negative weights is its negative connotation. For example, I use negative weights when I want to add penalty elements. Anyway, as you say, it's always possible to reformulate the evaluation criterion, e.g., instead of adding penalty elements I'll add reward elements, or something like.

- Arturo.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Arturo Valdivia

by Stephan Rinke -
I wholeheartedly agree!

Stephan
In reply to Stephan Rinke

by Ray Lawrence -
+1 remove. There's enough to get right without incorporating experimental features.
In reply to Ray Lawrence

by Matt Gibson -
+1 from me too. Agree with all the other posts.
In reply to David Mudrák

by David Mudrák -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Thanks to all of you, guys. And bye-bye negative weights! approve
In reply to David Mudrák

by Vernellia Randall -
I never use the negative weights but I would like some weights greater than 4.