CVS Confusion

Re: CVS Confusion

by Geof Duncan -
Number of replies: 7
Jon,

The one thing I've found lacking about the CVS documentation, is that it is not so simple to understand that you really can't take an existing moodle install and turn it in to a CVS install that you can update using cvs update -dP. You HAVE to start with a "clean" CVS install, then update it with cvs from there.

If you want to change your existing moodle and make it manageable by cvs, you need to follow these steps:

Step 1: Backup your database
This step is NOT optional as I've found on several occasions. Upgrades usually go smoothly but when they go wrong - it's a real roller coaster ride.

Step 2: Backup your existing /moodle/ folder
Again, just in case. You'll appreciate this is something goes wrong. In Ubuntu (or any *nix), it's a matter of mv moodle moodleold

Step 3: Follow the instructions on "Installing and Managing Moodle via CVS"

I can see you've read the instructions, but, the commands go like this:
cvs -d:pserver:anonymous@uk.cvs.moodle.org:/cvsroot/moodle login
cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous@uk.cvs.moodle.org:/cvsroot/moodle co -P -r MOODLE_19_WEEKLY moodle
I've chosen the uk server since it looks like it would be most appropriate according to your profile. This step takes a while...

Step 4: Make the new moodle install your own
Copy over your config.php file, non-standard themes, blocks, and modules into their respective places.

This step can be particularly troublesome. If you discover that you end up with a "white screen" after the move, then delete your non-standard themes, blocks, and modules. Check your site again (should be the standard theme and you're probably missing your non-standard blocks and modules, but, it should be working), then carefully add individual non-standard elements until you figure out which particular element (theme, block, or module) is giving you trouble.

Using http://yourmoodle.edu/moodle/admin/blocks.php and http://yourmoodle.edu/moodle/admin/modules.php will help to make sure that you haven't forgotten anything.

Step 5: Done
These four steps should leave you with a "new" moodle install that you can manage with cvs.

Happy Moodlin!
-Geof

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Geof Duncan

by Jon Witts -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Hi Geof,

Thanks for the pointers. I think I will try setting up CVS on my test Moodle on my Ubuntu box at home first; master it there then try the set up at work!'

Jon
In reply to Geof Duncan

by Marc Grober -
In reply to Marc Grober

by Jon Witts -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Thanks Marc!

I am going to give it a go on my test install here at home, and once I am happy I can do it without breaking everything I will try it at school!

I will let you all know how I go.

Jon
In reply to Jon Witts

by Jon Witts -
Thanks Marc and Geof!

Following those steps over at the docs page has got my test install on my home machine updated to the latest weekly 1.9 build through CVS! I also followed these instructions to make sure CVS was et up on my Ubuntu box first too: https://help.ubuntu.com/8.10/serverguide/C/cvs-server.html and then worked my way through the docs page.

I guess I will wait for a week, try to upgrade my home install to the latest weekly version again (using cvs update -dP smile) and all being well, set it up on our school server too!

Jon
In reply to Jon Witts

by Iñaki Arenaza -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

I also followed these instructions to make sure CVS was et up on my Ubuntu box first too: https://help.ubuntu.com/8.10/serverguide/C/cvs-server.html

In fact, you don't need to setup a cvs server for this at all smile You just need the cvs client. So 'apt-get install cvs' is all you need to do wink

Saludos. Iñaki.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Iñaki Arenaza

by Jon Witts -
Ah OK. I shall remove the extra installs from my machine then!

Thanks.