Export - save as csv - import causes 'word wrap'

Export - save as csv - import causes 'word wrap'

by Gina Bennett -
Number of replies: 1
I'm sure that subject line sounds cryptic...

Here's what's happening. An instructor is using moodle 1.9 for his math class. He has a LOT of assignments so his gradebook includes almost 70 columns. He wants to be able to edit his grades in a spreadsheet. So we export from Moodle's gradebook (we have tried exporting to both MS Excel & OO Calc). We open in the spreadsheet program, edit the numbers a bit, then export in csv format. But when we try to import back into Moodle, the preview shows that the columns have somehow 'wrapped' & the headings of the last 20 or so columns appear in the second row, under the first 20 or so headings. It is also wrapped like this when I view the csv file in Notepad. Needless to say, the data does not import all the way.

When I shorten all the column headings in Excel (e.g. if the column heading reads "Assignment: Section 4.2" I shorten it to "4.2") then the file previews properly. But Moodle writes the column headings for me so it would be a pain if we have to manually shorten them each time we import.

Anybody else see this issue? Even better, anybody have a solution? Maybe it's a problem with the spreadsheet program?

TIA
Gina
In reply to Gina Bennett

Re: Export - save as csv - import causes 'word wrap'

by Nicolas Connault -
I don't think it's a problem with the spreadsheet program. I just tried with OpenOffice, and the csv file looks fine, but the problem you described occurs anyway. I'll file a tracker issue and try to fix it.