User Picture/Email Auth. Problem

User Picture/Email Auth. Problem

by Max Parish -
Number of replies: 6
Here is a curious problem: When I first set up my courses, the user profiles for the students would not accept msn or hotmail addresses. I found a forum which instructed me to // out a certain field in one of the files (I forget exactly which one), which fixed the problem.

Now, when my students go to upload a picture in their user profile, when they click save, it flags the email address as being invalid, and thus won't save the picture.

I don't know if the problems are related.

I'm not an expert with code, but I can modify files as needed if given instructions.

Thanks for you help!

-Max
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Max Parish

Re: User Picture/Email Auth. Problem

by Jon Witts -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
You can specify which email addresses are valid or invalid in your site administration.

In Moodle 1.9 go to Administration > Users > Authentication > Manage Authentication and check that msn and hotmail domain names are not in the denied email domains field.
In reply to Jon Witts

by Max Parish -
Thanks! I just found the problem, and it was even simpler than that. I would feel rather bashful except that it would be hard to spot unless you know what you are looking for. When I copied in my student's email addresses from a student record sheet, I had copied in a space or two at the end of the address. Moodle was viewing the space as part of the address, and correctly counting it as invalid!

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to comment, and sorry for clogging the forum with such a simple issue!

-Max
In reply to Max Parish

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Hmm. Perhaps Moodle should be stripping extra white-space off the start and end of email address fields. Can a valid email address ever start with a space? (They certainly can't end with one. They end with a domain name like .com)
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Jon Witts -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
From what I can make out from http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5322 spaces would only be valid in any part of the local part of the email address if they were inside quotation marks...