Can a calendar be added at a category level?

Can a calendar be added at a category level?

by Tammy Belgarde -
Number of replies: 3
We have category level administrators that would like to have calendars that can have events display at a course level under their category. Is there anyone who is doing this or knows of a way to do it?
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Tammy Belgarde

Re: Can a calendar be added at a category level?

by Anthony Borrow -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Tammy - Currently the calendar does not support a category event type; however, I could see the benefit of having this and have created MDL-17689 in the Moodle Tracker which you are welcome to comment, watch, and vote on. Thanks for the great idea and please keep them coming. Peace - Anthony

In reply to Anthony Borrow

Question about how to determine what course categories pertain to a particular user (what to show on calendar)

by Anthony Borrow -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Tammy (and others interested)- Just to follow up here in the forums, I had some questions about how a Category event in the calendar should work. Here is what I posted in the tracker and I would invite responses to be made in the tracker (MDL-17689) should folks have any ideas:

Just thinking about how to determine which categories to show on one's calendar, it would seem to me that someone ought to see all of the categories for courses in which they are enrolled. So the list of categories would take the results of my_courses and create an array of the $COURSE->category for each of those courses and if necessary sort them by the category name alphabetically. Does that sound reasonably? I'm also wondering what capability we should have in order to have someone create a category event. Initially one might think teachers but I would imagine that some department chairs (thinking in terms of a Math department) would only want the department chair to be able to create events. Perhaps course creator for that particular category?

Sorry for it being a bit technical. The basic question though would be what categories should a user see or how do we determine which course categories pertain to a particular user?

Peace - Anthony
In reply to Anthony Borrow

Re: Question about how to determine what course categories pertain to a particular user (what to show on calendar)

by Nadirshah Ferozepurwalla -

how about using a user_profile field?

any progress in this category  event code?