Joomla/Moodle LDAP SSO

Joomla/Moodle LDAP SSO

by Freddy Andersen -
Number of replies: 5
OK,

Lets start with what I want and then what I have tried.

I want to have Joomla be the front end CMS for our university site and have Moodle do what moodle is good at Course Management. I would like to see the integration between Joomla and Moodle to be seemless with just one login needed. Maybe using a wrapper in Joomla and a minimal theme in Moodle.

So what I figured I need is LDAP and CAS for the authentication. But I can't get CAS to work.. It only complains that the version of CAS I'm using is not supported.. But I have not found any good documnetation on CAS and Moodle.

Now the LDAP story. I installed openldap ,added a few users and setup both Joomla and Moodle to authenticate with the ldap. The issue now is if somone changes their profile in moodle it is saved to the database and not the LDAP server? Is this the setup for moodle -> ldap authentication? I would like the moodle user to be able to change his name and other information and have this information saved to LDAP not the local moodle database.

Is there anyone that can get me started with better information on this setup?

I have found a few SSO posts out there but they are not SSO they are same password signon not single signon. We need the end user to signon ONE time.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Freddy Andersen

Re: Joomla/Moodle LDAP SSO

by Richard Enison -
In reply to Richard Enison

by Freddy Andersen -
Thanks Richard. That was the information I found. The issue I'm having is that if I set the CAS version to either 3.3.1 or 3.2.1 I get the this version is not supported by casphp. I guess this is not a Moodle thing but since CAS support is in Moodle I was hoping someone here had used it for their install.

by Freddy Andersen -
Here is the error messages I get:

phpCAS error: phpCAS::client(): this version of CAS (`3.2.1.1') is not supported by phpCAS 0.5.1-1 in /var/www/joomla/moodle/auth/cas/auth.php on line 178

by Richard Enison -
FA,

OK. Now that you have posted your error msg., I have something to work with. Let that be a lesson to all you Moodlers out there who skimp on posting error msgs.!

Still, it took some digging, because the msg. didn't come from either phpCAS::client() or auth.php directly. It came from the constructor method for CASclient. It checks the CAS version and if it is 1.0, and if a proxy is specified, it produces an error msg. that says

CAS proxies are not supported in CAS 1.0

If it is 2.0, it's okay. If it is anything else, it produces the error you got.

HTH

RLE
In reply to Richard Enison

by Freddy Andersen -
Thanks Richard this helped me and finally I now have my Rails application talking to Moodle...