Adding .5 to a grade for an assignment

Adding .5 to a grade for an assignment

by Kristin Turnbull -
Number of replies: 6

How can I include half marks in grades for assignments i.e. 8.5/10? There only seems to be an option to use whole numbers or am I missing something.

Kristin

In reply to Kristin Turnbull

Re: Adding .5 to a grade for an assignment

by A. T. Wyatt -
Greetings, Kristin!

It is true that you can only assign grades in integers if you use the assignment grading interface with the dropdown box. However, if you go directly to the 1.9 gradebook and turn editing on, you can enter decimal points. Once you do this, however, you can no longer enter information through the assignment interface. It will appear locked. So any editing you do must ALSO be done through the gradebook interface. It isn't hard, just a little different!

The only thing I found more difficult when using the gradebook interface was putting in the comments. When you "turn editing on" very small box will appear under the grade for comments. It is kind of hard to see what you are typing in there.

atw

Attachment decimalgrades.gif
In reply to A. T. Wyatt

by Vilimaka Foliaki -

Hi Mr. Wyatt,

Could you please elaborate a bit on "However, if you go directly to the 1.9 gradebook".

I am using Journal for an assignment, and eventhough the dropdown box shows marks in 0.5 increments, any assigned mark with a 0.5 is rounded off to the nearest whole number when saved (e.g. 8.5/10 is rounded off to 9/10).

Rgds
Vilimaka

In reply to Vilimaka Foliaki

by A. T. Wyatt -
In my experience, if you go into the gradebook itself to grade (instead of clicking on the assignments link) and turn editing on, I have been able to put decimal points as well as integers. That is what I put in the picture above.

Maybe the key is avoiding the dropdown box? If you have .5 increments, it sounds like someone has created a custom scale. I have not used those in my courses.

atw
In reply to A. T. Wyatt

by Vilimaka Foliaki -

Hi again Wyatt,

I guess, like what you said, my grading had been customised by my institution.

I can only grade in the gradebook if it is an 'offline assignment'. And these assignments are okay as I can enter marks of 0.5 in the gradebook.

The problem of marks being automatically rounded off happen only with 'online assignments', in which marks are assigned using a dropdown box. And with these assignments, any further changes to the marks can only be done from the dropdown box.

Thanks very much for the info.

Rgds
Vili