Feature request: knowledge building

Re: Feature request: knowledge building

by Teemu Leinonen -
Number of replies: 4
You are right. Different kind of tools (Moodle, LMSes, CMSes, portals, Wikis, blogs, paper&pen) are used for knowledge building. I also think that it is not that important what tool you are using to do knowledge building. Still some tools might be more suitable for that than others. Some tools may even be designed especially for the job. smile Its a matter of choosing a stone or a hammer.

What I see crucial in a "knowledge building" -tool is the scaffolding  (the knowledge types) that will support students' thinking. Actually in Moodle Forum there is a little scaffolding feature. The help texts beside the reply form (Read carefully, Write carefully, Ask good questions) are scaffolding non-experienced online debaters thinking and way or working in the forum.

I can write the specification. The Fle3s knowledge buildings user interface can also be used to describe the interaction and functionality although the user interface should be moodlernized. I think the starting point to develop the knowledge building module should be the Forum module.

It would be great to have an import/export compatibility with Fle3 knowledge types.

Any Moodle literate peopöe (who maybe already know well the Forum-module) interested it to get into it?
In reply to Teemu Leinonen

by Janne Mikkonen -
I was thinking about this last night and game to same conclusion that moodle's forum module should be the base since there are still many similarities with "Knowledge Building" tool.

Basically what we are missing is ThinkingTypeSets?

- Janne -
In reply to Janne Mikkonen

by Teemu Leinonen -
Hi Janne,

Yes. ThinkingTypeSets - that's it. And maybe some very minor modification, such as:

* No "Re: " in the subject line when replying a note
* No delivery of the note's to emails (just announcement and link)

Interested in to work on it with me?

The Fle3's ThinkingTypeSet's export file is a simple XML . The compatibility of the typse sets between Moodle and Fle3 would be superb.

Give me a call and let's have a chat about this in our coded language. Tel. 050 351 6796.

- Teemu
In reply to Teemu Leinonen

by Xavier de Pedro -
Hi Teemu, Martin, and others:

Which is the state of the art of this issue, after these months between your last post and nowadays?

A bunch of lecturers at University of Barcelona (http://www.ub.edu) are thinking in applying to some funding to improve the TIC tools we are using right now, in the same direction as knowledge types already developed for Fle3.

Our big university (ca 65.000 students) uses its own simple web suport (much much simpler than moodle, unluckily), and they are going to release the code as GPL finally (and PHP+Mysql), so that it will be possible, I guess, to get/adapt ideas/modules/... from the best GPL'd LMS out there which is moodle (as far as I know).

In any case, we are considering in applying for money to have somebody code thing's like this, and then we would use it, in a trial of innovation in teaching to improve the quality of teaching  (that's why the funding is for).

Ok, enough for now. I'd like to hear (read) the evolution of this integration of "Knowledge Types" into moodle.

Cheers, and thank Martin, for all you nice work (and coordination, etc.) with moodle smile

Xavier

P.D: We are so far using wiki based applications for our trials in  innovation in teaching: tikiwiki in our case.

In reply to Xavier de Pedro

by Tarmo Toikkanen -
Hi! I'm working as a teacher on a course on open source development, and I'm going to have the students work on creating a knowledge building module for Moodle. We're starting on the 29th of October and the course ends just before christmas. Progress can be monitored (and commented on!) at http://sourceforge.net/projects/moodle-kb/