RSS feed (news) in a block

Re: RSS feed (news) in a block

by Derek Morrison -
Number of replies: 1

Paul ... very nice block. I'm a newbie to Moodle but not e-learning and I'm a big fan of syndicated resource solutions. A much unexploited area by proprietary vendors and a big opportunity for Moodle.

It would be kind of neat if, that instead of displaying output from just one hardwired RSS channel, a number of channels were available to users. For an example of what I mean see our blog Auricle www.bath.ac.uk/e-learning/auricle.html which offers Syndicated Sites and Syndicated Learning Objects from which readers can select the resources they are interested in.  If the RSS block contained a menu which accessed a list of rss channels specified in the configuration then that is one killer feature. Each 'course' in Moodle could therefore offer a wide range of syndicated resources. I could also see considerable advantages in the configuration allowing for student specified channels.

It would also be great if syndicated resources could be specified at a more granular level than the course, e.g. the week, the topic.

I'm new to Moodle so I'm not much good here but if you or anyone else could run with this it would be well worth doing.

In reply to Derek Morrison

Re: RSS feed (news) in a block

by W Page -
QUOTE:
"...I could also see considerable advantages in the configuration allowing for student specified channels." Derek Morrison

"Student specified channels".  Now that is a very interesting idea!

WP1