Moodle in English

Discussions started in Moodle in English

Moodle in English -> General help Coronavirus - Video / class conferencing options we should consider

by Jerry Lau -

Now that WHO finally declared it as a pandemic (2 months too late btw but that is for another discussion time), what options should we look at for our instructors to use class video conferencing for their class/students? Ideally, perhaps a video tile of all the students (if they have a camera) so the instructors can see all their student's faces on his (or maybe even the student's) monitors..

In fact, I think people would be more engaged as there is less distraction actually

thanks

Average of ratings: -

Moodle in English -> General developer forum How can I write a function to use empty_trash() ?

by Jerry Lau -

Hello.

I've written a php script to delete unwanted backup files and it seems to work as its now in the /trashdir directory.

How can I write a function to delete the entire /trashdir folder using the same empty_trash() that cron.php uses?

Where is the setting for that so I can change the frequency of it.

thanks!

Moodle in English -> General developer forum Programatically to delete all manual accounts via sql good idea?

by Jerry Lau -

Hello everyone.

We would like delete most of our manual accounts created years ago.

Is it a good idea to just write a query to update the deleted field to “1”  then do an actual sql delete statement physically remove these records?

Or what better way is there and how can I call and use a php function to do this instead outside if moodle?

for example php -v /moodlepath/deleteusers.php -auth manual 

something like that?

thanks

Moodle in English -> General help DB Error during restore - where to start troubleshooting

by Jerry Lau -

Hello everyone.

Running moodle version 3.6.x on redhat 7.6 64-bit with php 7.2.x and MySQL 5.7

During a restore, this error came up and where can I start to troubleshoot this for this course?

You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'AMD qq.surveyid = '3345'' at line 1
SELECT qrr.* FROM mdl_questionnaire_question qq INNER JOIN mdl_questionnaire_response_rank qrr ON qq.id = qrr.question_id WHERE qq.type_id = ? AND qrr.rankvalue >= ? AMD qq.surveyid = ?
[array (
0 => 8,
1 => 0,
2 => 3345,
)]
Error code: dmlreadexception
Stack trace:
  • line 486 of /lib/dml/moodle_database.php: dml_read_exception thrown
  • line 1186 of /lib/dml/mysqli_native_moodle_database.php: call to moodle_database->query_end()
  • line 1038 of /mod/questionnaire/classes/question/rate.php: call to mysqli_native_moodle_database->get_recordset_sql()
  • line 406 of /mod/questionnaire/backup/moodle2/restore_questionnaire_stepslib.php: call to mod_questionnaire\question\rate::move_all_nameddegree_choices()
  • line 410 of /backup/util/plan/restore_structure_step.class.php: call to restore_questionnaire_activity_structure_step->after_execute()
  • line 113 of /backup/util/plan/restore_structure_step.class.php: call to restore_structure_step->launch_after_execute_methods()
  • line 181 of /backup/util/plan/base_task.class.php: call to restore_structure_step->execute()
  • line 210 of /backup/moodle2/restore_activity_task.class.php: call to base_task->execute()
  • line 178 of /backup/util/plan/base_plan.class.php: call to restore_activity_task->execute()
  • line 168 of /backup/util/plan/restore_plan.class.php: call to base_plan->execute()
  • line 339 of /backup/controller/restore_controller.class.php: call to restore_plan->execute()
  • line 224 of /backup/util/ui/restore_ui.class.php: call to restore_controller->execute_plan()
  • line 135 of /backup/restore.php: call to restore_ui->execute()

Moodle in English -> Installing and upgrading help Best approach - migrating courses and configurations

by Jerry Lau -

Hello everyone.

We have decided to move/migrate our existing Moodle 3.6.x platform in-house to service provider instead.

This is a good thing as this gives us a chance to clean things up.

We need some feedback / recommendations on the best way of doing the migration.

What is reasonably fast, safe and efficient way that we could transfer over courses that have been identified by our users that want to keep and migrate their courses, so that we don’t have to do it one-by-one manually?

If we move the entire database, that defeats the purpose of  clean-up before migration as a our database is large. We want to do this before migration.

What about settings and configurations? Can we just "migrate" them? I think this should be easier as all settings are in the database and can be migrated and restored at the new platform, no?

Recommendations?

Thanks!