Shopping for a new server

Re: Shopping for a new server - bought used and needing an upgrade now

by Eric Hagley -
Number of replies: 0
2 years down the track and things have been going very very well. What eventuated was:

I got about a third of the funding so I bought -

PowerEdge 2900 III Package
<CPU>Quad Core intel(R)Xeon(R) Processor E5410 (2.33GHz 2X6MB
L2 Cache, 1333MHzFSB)
Chip set:Intel(R) 5000X chip set
I/O slot:hot plug
8lane/8 channel PCI Express (1)、
Hot plug 4 lane/ 8 channel PCI Express (3)、
64bit/133MHz PCI-X (2)
<memory>4GB (4x1GB 2R)
667MHz FB-DIMM ECC
<hard disk> <1>
73GB 3.5インチ SAS hard disk
(15,000rpm)
It is a tower set up.

I put CentOS on it.

I have used it with 100 students taking a 60 minute quiz with lots of audio included. I set it up so that they had to input a quite long password before taking the quiz so there was about a minute or two of a window where the 100 were all starting the quiz and finishing. Though a couple of students got error messages on completion, their results etc were recorded. Overall I have been extremely happy with how well the above has gone. However...

I should have taken more notice of the Hard disk information people gave me. We are running out and now a lot of students are wanting to upload video to forums.

My question is, how can I add hard disk memory and point the moodledata there properly?

I would like to increase it to a terabyte. I've been so happy with the SAS hard disk and its quick reading that I'm inclined to go with it even though it is much more expensive. Admittedly I have not seen what the other options are like...

Is it possible to reconfig the setup to include raid from now? The setup I had was wonderful in that it just worked out of the box it arrived in. However growing pains are now apparent. I'm also beginning to worry about the what will happen if (when!) the disk I have dies..

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,

Eric Hagley