Where to locate files to change instructions?

Where to locate files to change instructions?

Höfundur Charlotte Smith -
Number of replies: 4

Sorry to ask such a dim question, I hope this is the right place to ask it. I need to alter some of the registration instructions so that they make sense to our students, but i can't find where these instructions are located in the Moodle files.

1. the instructions that appear after a student has registered. They are called by: Login/signup.php

An email should have been sent to your address at .....

It contains easy instructions to complete your registration.

If you continue to have difficulty, contact the site administrator.

2. the instructions that appear when a student clicks on the link from their email, called by: Login/confirm.php

You are about to enrol yourself as a member of this course.

Are you sure you wish to do this?

I would be very grateful if anyone could tell me which page these instructions are located on so I can alter them. Thanks in advance

Meðaltal dóma: -
In reply to Charlotte Smith

Re: Where to locate files to change instructions?

Höfundur Myles Carrick -
hi Charlotte,

The language files are in the /lang folder of your installation BUT you don't want to make any changes there!

From the homepage of your site (I'm guessing you have something like Admin access here), go to the Site Administration block.
Click on Language Editing > Edit words or phrases.

This will create a file in your moodledocs folder to store any changes that you make... and will override the defaults with your local changes bros

In the drop-down, choose 'moodle.php', and do a CTRL+F to find the phrase you're after. Just enter your changes and hit one of the 'save changes' buttons. The page will now show your new text!

Let me know if you get stuck or something here doesn't make sense.

MC

In reply to Myles Carrick

Höfundur Charlotte Smith -

Hi Myles,

Thanks so much for this, I had no idea it was so easy. What a fantastic tool. I've made quite a few changes and now it says I have 2 missing strings. What is this and does it matter?

Thanks again

Charlotte

Höfundur Joseph Rézeau -
Mynd af Core developers Mynd af Particularly helpful Moodlers Mynd af Plugin developers Mynd af Testers Mynd af Translators
Charlotte >I've made quite a few changes and now it says I have 2 missing strings.
Well, it probably means you deleted those 2 missing strings instead of replacing them with your own wording.
Joseph

Höfundur Myles Carrick -
Yeah... I think all English (en_utf8) installations will report two missing strings: firstdayofweek and parentlanguage.
The latter is only used if you want to specify the name of a "parent" language to which to revert/defer if the system can't find a particular string. As for the other one... I'm not sure (there certainly IS a string listed there, albeit a '0'). I might check that out further, but it's certainly not anything to worry about.

MC
Meðaltal dóma:Useful (1)