nWiki Errors

Re: nWiki Errors

by Steve Wright -
Number of replies: 0
Wiki was not empty - you can see the content in the mashed code there.

Tried changing student mode from 'student in group' to 'individual student' - the lack of any documentation on this makes it difficult to know the effect.

If I change it back to 'student in group' it *appears* to work. However there remain issues with editing being locked out if I'm working on it and the possibility/likelihood that if I try to change any settign I could lose the lot...

Our hosting company have reached the end of their tether with the amount of support nWiki requires:

A number of users are complaining about problems with the latest supposedly "1.9 compatible" version of nwiki, and it seems from reading those reports ... that nwiki is still not ready for production use.
Especially when you are trying to implement it on systems that already have a wiki (ewiki or nwiki) present - the upgrade processes simply do not seem to have been worked out correctly yet.

So, given the effort that [admin name deleted] is putting into this (and that I am having to pay him for) this is becoming economically unviable for us. Either we are going to have to charge you extra for support, or you are going to have to find some other way of experimenting with this, that does not involve us.

So it would seem I'm in the unenviable position of:

1 - having a flaky wiki (nWiki) that is unreliable and about as likely as a DC-10 to go down at any moment - and certainly not reliable enough to make a core component of any course.

2 - unable to rollback to a workable, simpler wiki i.e. eWiki as it is a one-way upgrade.

3 - no longer able to call on any support due to the numerous, endmic problems with nWiki from installation to this latest problem - or have to pay more for it.

4 - Unable to find any effective documentation for the wiki with the possibility that any features may cause unexpected catastrophic errors.

Suggestions of how to resolve this most apprciated... Am hoping OU wiki and search may be easy and I may be able to add them or look into media wiki integration...