Change in Moodle 1.8 and 1.9 : admin tree icons are now themeable - some themes need to be upgraded

Change in Moodle 1.8 and 1.9 : admin tree icons are now themeable - some themes need to be upgraded

by Mathieu Petit-Clair -
Number of replies: 4
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of MoodleCloud team Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Hi,

I would like to draw the attention of theme developers to a change that took place recently in cvs: the "admin_tree" icons are now themeable, which is to say that open.gif, closed.gif and item.gif have been moved to /pix/i/.

This also means that they must be copied into any theme that duplicates this folder. Otherwise they won't show up in the site.

For a site admin, this means copying the three files from folder /pix/i/ to folder /themes/yourtheme/pix/i

This change has been done in version 1.8 and 1.9. Chameleon was the only core theme that needed to be updated: if you are using a core theme, you don't need to change anything.

You can read more about it in the tracker at: http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-8123 and http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-11594

Mathieu
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mathieu Petit-Clair

Re: Change in Moodle 1.8 and 1.9 : admin tree icons are now themeable - some themes need to be upgraded

by Jason Hollowell -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
Mathieu,

Thanks. I just wanted to post a link to the discussion of this issue (here) in relation to upgrading from 1.8.3+ to 1.8.4+ when using the Clouds theme.

Jason
In reply to Jason Hollowell

Re: Change in Moodle 1.8 and 1.9 : admin tree icons are now themeable - some themes need to be upgraded

by Anthony Borrow -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
I've started to go through the list of themes that have been contributed to and are listed in the themes database on moodle.org. Many of these themes have a zip file stored on another server. Ideally, I would like to see these themes moved to CVS to facilitate maintenance, ease patching, increase review, etc. I've contacted a couple of the theme maintainers and mentioned this idea to them. I'm hoping others will follow suit. If anyone is maintaining a theme and needs help getting it setup in CVS just let me know and I will guide you through the process. Please keep in mind that this is a preference for maintaining and sharing themes. It is not meant to prevent or limit folks from sharing zip files but rather to simply make CVS and the tracker more readily available to those who would like to use those tools. Peace - Anthony
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Anthony Borrow

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Anthony,,
Great idea. I hope you can make it come true.
Joseph
In reply to Mathieu Petit-Clair

by Mathieu Petit-Clair -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of MoodleCloud team Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
I forgot to point this out in the original post, but one quick and easy way to fix this is to go to /admin/settings.php?section=experimental and enable the "smartpix" setting.

Per the setting description : "With this on, icons are served through a PHP script that searches the current theme, then all parent themes, then the Moodle /pix folder. This reduces the need to duplicate image files within themes, but has a slight performance cost."

Mathieu