need help in restore

need help in restore

by steve smith -
Number of replies: 8
Hello, I am using 1.9. I downloaded a course (backup format) from the internet and now I wanted to try to upload to my website. I have no idea how to restore the backup file, which directory I should put the backup in? I do not even see restore module anywhere. I saw backup under course.
Thanks.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to steve smith

Re: need help in restore

by Andy Tagliani -
Hi steve

As an example, you copy the backup zip-file in the folder site files on the frontpage. Is the transaction finshed, you click on restore, but you should first create a new course categorie, now restore and say "create a new course" in that new category.

Thats it!
Andy
In reply to Andy Tagliani

by steve smith -
Thanks. the restore link is in Front Page.
In reply to steve smith

by steve smith -
after i clicked restore, all i saw is this list:
  • Creating temporary structures
  • Deleting old data
  • Copying zip file
  • Unzipping backup
  • Checking for BlackBoard export
  • Checking backup
  • Reading info from backup
nothing else after that.
any help would be highly appreciated ( i am using 1.9)

In reply to steve smith

by Andy Tagliani -
Steve can you turn on the debug mode? Block Website-Administration->Server->Debugging

Activate the debug mode, than try to restore the backup file and see if comes any error warning. If yes, copy them and come back with the error warnings.

Andy
In reply to steve smith

by Hannah Mathias -
I'm getting the same thing. Any fixes?

In reply to Hannah Mathias

by Dan Marsden -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
did you see Andy's post above about turning debugging on and posting any error messages you received here?

thanks,

smile

Dan
In reply to Hannah Mathias

by Ulrike Montgomery -

Hannah and Steve,

I have the same problem as you can see in this thread - I posted it in the bug tracker thinking that it was a bug . The backed-up courses you are trying to restore to version 1.9 are probably 1.9.1+ and not 1.9, so that won't work.

More info about this in the tracker  (Thanks a lot, Petr, for explaining why it can't work)

Hope this helps,

Ulrike

In reply to Ulrike Montgomery

by Paula Clough -

I have been having a similar problem with courses I have been moving from 1.8 to 1.9... I was working on a new computer and one day suddenly realized that my Internet Explorer was hanging up looking for a "website" during the back up... I finally traced it down to my "phishing" settings. It was trying to check the Moodle server as a website... When I took care of those settings in IE, I quit having problems with the back up hanging up.

Paula Clough cool