Protecting web link resources. A new scenario to discuss

Protecting web link resources. A new scenario to discuss

by Andrea Bicciolo -
Number of replies: 0

I'm facing with a new problem when attempting to protect from unwanted access web link resources that are not HTML files.

Background: I wish to upload courses made by HTML pages with embedded audio/video Video files can be encoded in .wmv, .rm or .swf, depending on the request, and are often synched with URL flips. Video files can be from 50MB to 200MB each, and of course, I does not want to allow such upload sizes on Moodle sites. Those video files are usually uploaded not by teachers, but by people who has FTP access and no Moodle access, since not necessary for their purpose. The HTML pages containing video/audio, should be reused across several courses

In such scenario, I moved on a web link resources but soon I faced with the problems of protecting the video and audio files.

1) uploading inside courses: as stated before, there is a need for unwanted max upload sizes that should not be allowed. Also, the content could not be easely reused accros courses (Teemu work could do this, but the upload size problem persist).

2) Changing .html to .php: I can protect HTML files changing the extension to .php and adding simple header that use the Moodle require_login functions, but in this way video/audio files are not protected in any way.

3) .htaccess with user password: it would be the best idea, linking web resources in way such as http://pippo:password@www.mysite.it/anyfile.anyext could solve the problem, but Microsoft some months ago published a security patch for IE wich de facto disallows this syntax, so people will be prompted for a user/password combination, and I does not want this.

Any idea would be greatly appreciated.

Average of ratings: -