User pics

Re: User pics

by A K -
Number of replies: 0
I have added a comment to the bug at: MDLSITE-186.

This looks, in my case, to have been caused by a server move and different owner number on the new server, plus existing f1.jpg and f2.jpg profile images already existing (transferred from the previous server).

I think that the combination of different owner + permissions on directory and existing images files prevents Moodle from generating the two thumbnails in the users' directory.

Resolution (for a single user!) was to change the profile directory permissions from 755 to 777 on his profile image directory and 'remove' (actually, rename) the existing profile images, which were also 755, to make them 'invisible' to the update profile process. The upload profile image then proceeds without problems.

Not a very neat resolution and only good for that one user. Haven't got login access to the Unix system and can't think how else to easily sort out the file / directory permissions for the other users that already had images in existence before the server move (possibly several hundred of them).

Perhaps someone less rusty on Unix permissions / groups / owners can suggest a neater way? Also, remind what permissions should be set on the Moodle data folder hierarchy.

It would be nice if the upload process handled a failed image generation more elegantly and generated an error report if it fails. Currently it leaves the user in the dark about something having gone wrong until they spot that their profile image was not changed.

Questions to check for others experiencing the same problem:
- Have you moved server?
- Does the problem affect users who already had profile images on the old server? (f1.jpg and f2.jpg in following directories...) They, in combination with file / directory permissions, could be preventing the image upload (or, rather, the creation of the two thumbnails) from working.
- Have the permissions or the owner for <moodle-data-directory>/users/* changed?