Front Page Modifications, Colour Editing and User Control

Front Page Modifications, Colour Editing and User Control

by Stanislav Roudavski -
Number of replies: 4

I am new to moodle, so – sorry if the questions are too simple. If the answers are written up somewhere, perhaps you would be kind and point out….

I’ve just setup a new moodle space here:

http://moodle.expressivespace.org/

1. You will see that the central column on the front page is titled “Available Courses”. Can this be changed? How? These are not courses but projects rather.

2. Also, the list of people on this page in the course-information box is compiled automatically. Can I control this? I would like only project leaders and organisers to appear there. Also, can I control the order in which these names appear?

3. And connected to this; if I want to define a new role, can I copy an existing role and make modifications? Ticking all these radio battons manually is rather boring.

4. You will recognise that I have used one of the standard themes. Is it difficult to change its colours? At least the colour of the links that do not match the overall palette but perhaps other colours too?

Thanks for the advice,

S.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Stanislav Roudavski

Re: Front Page Modifications, Colour Editing and User Control

by Don Schwartz -
"1. You will see that the central column on the front page is titled “Available Courses”. Can this be changed? How? These are not courses but projects rather.

Changes to standard moodle text is done through the Language files. I suggest reading the docs first.

2. Also, the list of people on this page in the course-information box is compiled automatically. Can I control this? I would like only project leaders and organisers to appear there. Also, can I control the order in which these names appear?

Not my area...

3. And connected to this; if I want to define a new role, can I copy an existing role and make modifications? Ticking all these radio battons manually is rather boring.

Not my area...

4. You will recognise that I have used one of the standard themes. Is it difficult to change its colours? At least the colour of the links that do not match the overall palette but perhaps other colours too?

Colors are all controlled by the css within the theme folder. You have to have ftp or ssh access to edit the css. Some themes have more than one sheet. the Chameleon theme allows you to edit css while browsing the page.

ds
In reply to Don Schwartz

by Stanislav Roudavski -

Changes to standard moodle text is done through the Language files. I suggest reading the docs first.

Thanks. I had a look there but the docs do not describe the many language files in any detail. At least not on the page you suggested. So – I am at a loss on how to find the relevant string. Searching through all the files? I would not want to mess things up… Also, my installation is 1.7, not 1.6…

Colors are all controlled by the css within the theme folder. You have to have ftp or ssh access to edit the css. Some themes have more than one sheet. the Chameleon theme allows you to edit css while browsing the page.

Thanks. I shall have a look. Is there any change to visualise the colour aways from the moodle installation?

In reply to Stanislav Roudavski

by Derrin Kent -
Hi Stanislav!

Can you please help me?

I see you worked out how to change the "Available courses" Title to "Projects".... but, how did you achieve this?

No explanation is given here in this forum.

Please help!