Doh! Problem with orangewhite theme

Doh! Problem with orangewhite theme

by Mark McNulty -
Number of replies: 8

Hi...

I am secondary (high) school teacher who'd really like some help with three tweaks I'd like to make to a version of the orangewhite theme developed by Urs Hunkler.

The three tweaks I'd like to make are identified on the graphic below:

(1) I'd like to reduce the size of the >> to match the surrounding text (see yellow circle).

(2) I'd like to get rid of the Topic outline heading (see pink box).

(3) I'd like to get rid of the numbers in the "sidestrips" of the topic blocks (see blue circle).

Unfortunately, having some time ago modified the orangewhite theme so that it worked perfectly, our site has moved to a new server and seems to have "lost" its settings and left me with these three issues.

Trouble is, I no longer have direct access to our stylesheet or files on the new servers. So I cannot "play around" to find the solutions.

But I'd be really grateful if anyone could identify the style sheet (or code? )changes needed to fix those three issues. I can then pass on the instructions to the webmasters at our new hosts.

Thanks for any tips.

Mark

Attachment styleProblems.gif
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mark McNulty

Re: Doh! Problem with orangewhite theme

by Greg Lyon -
Mark, I can give you a hint on the first one at least...

The >> are actually a gif file.  It is on your Moodle server:
yourmoodledirectory/pix/a/r_breadcrumb.gif
So, you'll have to make it smaller using a graphic editing program.  Most will have a 'resample' or 'resize' option that will let you make them smaller.

I'll have to leave the other change help to another moodler...
In reply to Greg Lyon

by Mark McNulty -

Hi, Greg...

Brilliant! Quick response also much appreciated !

One down two (hopefully) to go...!

In reply to Mark McNulty

by Urs Hunkler -
Picture of Core developers

Hello Mark,

great that you like orangewhite and nice to see a colour variation of the theme smile

at (1): Seeing the large ">>" I suppose you switched to Moodle 1.6. Please add the following CSS to the "styles_layout.css" of your theme. This way you do not need to change the gif. The handling of the breadcrumb changed due to accessibility needs.

img.resize {
  width: 1em;
  height: 1em;
}

at (2): please replace in your "styles_layout.css" all properties of the "#course-view .headingblock" part with

#course-view .headingblock {
  display: none;
}

at (3): please colour the number with the same colour as your background in your "styles_colour.css" by adding the line "colour: #yourcolor;"

#course-view .section .left {
  background-color: #yourcolor;
  colour: #yourcolor;
}

I hope this will help
Urs

In reply to Urs Hunkler

by Mark McNulty -

Hi, Urs...

Wow, that's like Christmas come early!

Precision also much appreciated - and speed of reply.

Glad you like the adaptation - but it's a shamless rip-off of your hard work so thanks for the original theme!

Mark

In reply to Mark McNulty

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
>(3) I'd like to get rid of the numbers in the "sidestrips" of the topic blocks (see blue circle).

Another possibility than the one given by Urs, which offers the advantage to hide topic numbers irrespective of background color:

#course-view .section .left {
  visibility:hidden;
}

Joseph

In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Urs Hunkler -

Joseph,

hiding the number was my approach before Moodle 1.6 too. In Moodle 1.6 you can't address the number only because there is no hook any more.

When you hide the left section the colour bar is hidden too. I suppose Mark wanted to make only the number and not the colour bar invisible.

With our alternative solutions most cases to hide the numbers can be solved now.

I hope the theme designers will search and find this thread wink

Urs

In reply to Urs Hunkler

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Urs,
You are quite right; I had not checked with the "current" highlight color on.
It's a pity that these Topic numbers have lost their "hook" in 1.6+
However, here is another solution which does not involve colors (and the highlight bar remains visible, see attached screenshot)

#course-view .section .left.side {
  font-size:0px;
}

Joseph

Attachment image00.jpg
In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Urs Hunkler -

Joseph,

some browsers might not hide the text completely with font-size set to 0px. Please have a look at Using font-size 0 in Various Web Browsers.

For me it's ok to define the text colour as the background colour as long as you do not want to use pictures within the topic sides.

If one wants to use pictures a new solution needs to be found.

Urs