Upgrade / scaling of a DB for a single instance (~100k Users)

Upgrade / scaling of a DB for a single instance (~100k Users)

per Marco Schrittwieser -
Nombre de respostes: 3
Hello moodlers,

we are running at the moment a single moodle (v 4.1.7) instance with a MariaDB.

Over the years the user numbers have increased to 95k at the moment (and is still rising) and the DB size is about 85GB.

We are now looking for a future-proof and scalable solution for a state of the art DB and a way to migrate from the MariaDB.

Additional info - we have to run everything inhouse, so AWS etc. is no option.

Every possible solution or migration experiences would be great.

Thanks a lot,

Marco
Mitjana de qualificacions: -
En resposta a Marco Schrittwieser

Re: Upgrade / scaling of a DB for a single instance (~100k Users)

per Howard Miller -
Imatge Core developers Imatge Documentation writers Imatge Particularly helpful Moodlers Imatge Peer reviewers Imatge Plugin developers
Why do you want to migrate away from MariaDB. In general, migrating to a different database is going to be a load of hassle - probably for little or no benefit.

If you really want to spend money on your database, I can actually recommend Enterprise MySQL and it **should** be straightforward to migrate.
En resposta a Marco Schrittwieser

per Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Imatge Particularly helpful Moodlers Imatge Translators
I assume you are considering a cluster solution. The DBMS clustering is highly vendor specific. I haven't seen any deep discussions here. There is more on web server clustering front on this site, Server cluster for example. Again not many people advising on it. I think the experts are among themselves. Meet the A new "Large scale Moodle deployment" support group.
En resposta a Visvanath Ratnaweera

per Tim Hunt -
Imatge Core developers Imatge Documentation writers Imatge Particularly helpful Moodlers Imatge Peer reviewers Imatge Plugin developers
The easiest type of clustering to set up is just replication to a second instance (which is mainly done for resiliance).

If you have that, then you can set up using the read-only replica to handle some of the load. That was implemented in MDL-19711, and for now, the only docs that exist are what is in config-dist https://github.com/moodle/moodle/blob/9587029a4609b3222a3564207aada02716d3332d/config-dist.php#L113.

That can be a relatively quick win.