When posting, please read

When posting, please read

by Gareth J Barnard -
Number of replies: 0
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
Hello,

This is a plea from me.  When posting, please take the time to find out and state the versions of the theme and Moodle you're using (see moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=333733).  Please don't use terms 'latest' or 'newest' etc.  They only reflect your understanding of what the versions are at the moment and certainly can be different from the understanding of 'latest' that the reader has.

Software has version control and configuration management for a purpose, to identify the state of a given piece of software so that issues that arise can be replicated and potentially understood.  Matching the version you have with the version that the investigator has is therefore essential and that is why this information is asked for.  It could also be that your issue has already been fixed in a later version that you're not aware of.

Later on when your problem has been hopefully solved, your post and the replies form a source of information.  When others have the same problem, undertake a search and come across the post they can use it to solve their issue knowing that the versions match or that they have an earlier version and need to update.  The community benefits.

Therefore, help others help you and take that little extra step to provide the information.

I realise that this is my point of view and you may agree or disagree with it.  If you'd like to comment, then please do so as all perspectives are welcome.

Gareth
Average of ratings: Useful (3)