👉 "Instructor Frustrations" with "Moodle Solutions"

Re: 👉 "Instructor Frustrations" with "Moodle Solutions"

by Joost Elshoff -
Number of replies: 0
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
Hi Todd,

That's an interesting document to read. So everything here has been AI generated, using a variety of prompts? That's probably the main reason I find the document a bit to generic to actually work with: some of the issues aren't necessarily Moodle issues, but rather course design or professional skill / CPD challenges.

There were a few places in the document where 'Moodle' would have been interchangeable for any other online learning platform, or where features have been attributed to Moodle that don't actually exist in the way they're described. Not to mention some suggested solutions that would have hard time passing the academic ethics assessment, such as using online proctoring for quizzes.

On page 19 (poor internet connection), I'd have a few more suggestions, that may actually work:
Offline access - Enable the course content download feature, or encourage the students to use the Moodle Mobile app (and have a suitable license plan as an organisation)
Lightweight media - Don't upload videos directly to Moodle, but use an integrated video / media service instead (YouTube, Vimeo, Planet eStream, Panopto, Mediasite by Sonic Foundry, ...). This way media is adequately transcoded given the user's bandwidth and device capabilities. Otherwise, the audio or video file will need to be buffered or downloaded / cached in the browser before you can view it.

Of course, this isn't an issue the instructors can solve themselves: this is up to the IT / Learning Technologies department, to properly set up.

Another example, on page 25 (ignoring teacher feedback)
I like the suggestion for post-assignment reflective practice. This, of course, also requires the students to feel safe in writing their reflections and processing the feedback. A portfolio would be a nice addition, as long as the students can decide if and when others access these reflective journal entries.
I'd use a Scheduler / Organizer activity instead, so students can schedule an appointment to go over feedback received. The Moodle messaging system isn't really meant for this purpose, imho.
Revision policy would only apply when the assignment submission is formative (rather than summative) in nature. If it's a final, summative assessment where a student submits their work, there's a bunch of assessment and examination regulations to take into account. Submitting a revised version after feedback would most likely be a considered a resit if the assignment was summative in nature.

I could go on and on, but I won't. It would make sense though, to actually get a few Moodle experts together and write one or more articles on 'Moodle solutions to common issues teachers face when working in an online or blended learning context'.
Average of ratings: Useful (3)