secondary menu links

secondary menu links

аз Dean Howard -
Number of replies: 14

im trying to add a  menu option to the secondary menu navigation bar that can be found on the course pages, 

i can't find any reference to secondary menu or the menu names in the root directory can anyone point me in the right direction ?. 

moodle: version 4.0.1
theme: boost 

p.s is there some sort of developer documentation to find where all these mustache file link to so its easier to find files 🙄

Баҳои миёна:Useful (1)
In reply to Dean Howard

Re: secondary menu links

аз Umme Kawser Sinthia -

Hi Dean,

You can add secondary menu links by using this function extend_navigation_course. Just put the given code on your lib.php file of any plugin and you'll see a link is created on the "More" section of course secondary menu. Replace the "plugintype" and "pluginname" to your desired plugin type and name of the plugin respectively.

function plugintype_pluginname_extend_navigation_course(navigation_node $navigation) {
global $PAGE;
$node = navigation_node::create(get_string('pluginname', 'plugintype_pluginname'),
new moodle_url('/plugintype/pluginname/index.php', array('courseid' => $PAGE->course->id)),
navigation_node::TYPE_SETTING,
null,
null,
new pix_icon('i/competencies', ''));
$navigation->add_node($node);
}
You can also see this reference documentation for extending navigation https://docs.moodle.org/dev/Callbacks 

Best regards.

Sinthia

Attachment Screenshot from 2022-07-22 15-30-10.png
In reply to Umme Kawser Sinthia

аз Dean Howard -
thanks i ended up adding some html to the moremenu.mustache file so that it displays in the same row as the menu options.

another quick thing regarding the secondary navbar, is there a away to edit the css separately from the primary navbar ? every time i style the secondary nav it changes the primary nav too because they both share the same div elements eg ( moremenu navigation observed, moremenu-630e0aa2a948b-nav-tabs, role="menubar", class="nav more-nav nav-tabs") etc ?
In reply to Dean Howard

аз Umme Kawser Sinthia -
Yes, you can add CSS separately for both Primary and Secondary Navbar. For styling the secondary navbar try using this class " .secondary-navigation .navigation .nav-tabs .nav-link " in your css file... For a quick view you can add it on the moremenu.scss file of boost theme..
eg.
.secondary-navigation .navigation .nav-tabs .nav-link {
background-color: red;
}

Regards,
Sinthia

аз F. Koch -

Hello Sinthia,

this works not in a block plugin or local plugin.

Is this intentionally?

Thank you

Florian

Moodle: 4.1

Theme: Boost

In reply to F. Koch

аз F. Koch -
After restarting moodle it works in the block plugin, but still not in the local plugin.
In reply to F. Koch

аз Umme Kawser Sinthia -
Hello Florian,
I have tried the same code from my previous comment (in lib.php file) for local plugin in moodle 4.1+ version and it works perfectly for me. I think you should install a new moodle in your PC and try it again...
You can also check the documentation https://docs.moodle.org/dev/Callbacks , where it is stated that this function works for all type of plugins. Hope this works for you too...

Best regards.
Sinthia

аз F. Koch -

Hello Sinthia,

it works in mod after bumping the version. In admin/tool this was not necessary.

Thank you

Florian

In reply to F. Koch

аз Paolo Oprandi -
This is cool.

I wanted to add badges to the secondary navigation of the front page. But Moodle doesn't appear to be picking up the function even if I put it in badges/lib.php. Any thoughts?

badges_extend_navigation_frontpage(navigation_node $navigation)

аз Mustafa Hajjar -
I just tried it in 4.1+ and works for me as well. Thanks...

Is there a way to change the order in the More menu or bring a tab to the main secondary navigation for local plugins yet?
Also, what's the use of passing an icon to the node creation when it is not displayed? i.e. pix_icon('i/competencies', ''))

Thanks,
Mustafa
In reply to Mustafa Hajjar

аз Umme Kawser Sinthia -
Hello Mustafa,
I'm not sure about the change the order of more menu. I couldn't find how to do that, when I was working on it. Let me know if you get any solutions regarding that.
About the pix_icon part, all the other navigation has the icon added. So, I added it too but its an optional thing, you can pass 'null' as well instead of 'pix_icon' and the function will work fine...

Regards,
Sinthia